Help a lazy so-and-so (me!) out with some Logic Pro advice, please

TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
edited March 2020 in Studio & Recording
Apologies for not doing my own legwork, but I'm only doing the bare minimum with Logic these days now I've reverted to GarageBand on the iPad for most of my recording.

Mid-side recording:
Q1: If I record the two mics onto two mono tracks (WAV), what do I use in Logic to decode it and turn it into stereo? 
Q2: If I record the two mics onto one stereo track (WAV), can I split the track into two mono tracks and decode it or would I be able to decode the stereo track in situ?

The background to this is I've bought a little Shure MV88 for field recordings onto my iPhone, and raw mid-side into a single stereo WAV file is one of the options it gives. 

EDIT: That's using the Shure app to record. I can, however, record onto 2 mono tracks if I use Garageband or Multitrack DAW. 

Thanks for helping! :-) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    If (1) then you would pan the Mid mic hard left and the Sides mic hard right, then route them both to the same stereo aux. You can then use one of the many free M-S decoder plug-ins on that aux.

If (2) you can just put an M-S decoder on the stereo track.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    Stuckfast said:
    If (1) then you would pan the Mid mic hard left and the Sides mic hard right, then route them both to the same stereo aux. You can then use one of the many free M-S decoder plug-ins on that aux.

If (2) you can just put an M-S decoder on the stereo track.
    Ta. Understood.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    If I record the two mics onto two mono tracks (WAV), what do I use in Logic to decode it and turn it into stereo?
    You import the Garageband project into Logic by booting up Logic, then, choosing it from your GB projects list.

Logic will recreate the GB modus operandi by organising its effects in as similar a way as possible to GB.

2) Two microphone signals recorded on two separate mono tracks is the traditional method inherited from multi-track analogue tape recording. There is no “decoding” to be done. Simply pan the signals across the stereo field as desired. Sprinkle lightly with reverb via a Buss send. Coherent stereo Illusion created.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    If I record the two mics onto two mono tracks (WAV), what do I use in Logic to decode it and turn it into stereo?
    You import the Garageband project into Logic by booting up Logic, then, choosing it from your GB projects list.

Logic will recreate the GB modus operandi by organising its effects in as similar a way as possible to GB.

2) Two microphone signals recorded on two separate mono tracks is the traditional method inherited from multi-track analogue tape recording. There is no “decoding” to be done. Simply pan the signals across the stereo field as desired. Sprinkle lightly with reverb via a Buss send. Coherent stereo Illusion created.
    I think you possibly missed the part where I said it was a "mid/side" source. I'm not recording a stereo pair of mics. 

I'm up and running now, anyway, thanks. If I record both tracks to mono, I can duplicate the side track, then just reverse its phase using the Gain plugin within Logic and get to hear a nice stereo image when playing all three back. 

The recording software that comes with the mic will convert it into stereo "as you record" if that's what you want, but I'm experimenting with mid/side techniques. The main benefit is it sounds good in mono as well as stereo - depending on what you want to do with it later. 

Logic doesn't seem to import GarageBand iOS projects. All I seem to get is a stereo mix of the GB iOS project. I don't use GB on MacOS at all. If there's something I could be doing to change that so it looks like a project instead of a stereo audio file, please do advise - I'd like to get the MIDI tracks as MIDI in that instance. GB iOS doesn't seem to have an export regions capability. Or does it?