Naming your guitars

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
I’ve never really understood this, also referring to them as she or he. They’re just inanimate objects as far as I’m concerned (all be it sometimes highly desirable and/or of sentimental value). 

Mrs Rowby however does have names for them. My latest acquisition is know the “big red one” which I think sounds quite cool. Others include the “boring black one” (Ebony LP Std), the “brown stripey one” (Honeyburst LP Std), the “one I bought for your birthday” (Heritage H-535), the “other one I bought for your birthday” (Gretsch 5420), the “little silver one” (Tele) and my personal favourite the “strat” (Strat) ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My wife noted that I'd started playing "big guitars" when I got my first 335 in a while.

Definitely not into giving them girls names or anything, I find that creepy and more than a bit weird. Though a mate of mine used to call one the "Lesbian" every time he borrowed my LP Studio, if that counts..?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14495
    IMHO, this ...
    Rowby1 said:
    Mrs Rowby however does have names for them.
    ... is more than compensated for by this ...
    Rowby1 said:
    the “one I bought for your birthday” ...  the “other one I bought for your birthday” 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5388
    I just call them what they are, although at some point they probably all go by "bastard thing" as well.

Mrs Snags mostly just calls them what they are too, because she's an actual intelligent adult (albeit with poor taste in men) apart from the SG, which she persists in referring to as "the baby guitar" because it's physically smaller and she thinks it pisses me off. Which it did at first, but I've got used to it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
    IMHO, this ...
    Rowby1 said:
    Mrs Rowby however does have names for them.
    ... is more than compensated for by this ...
    Rowby1 said:
    the “one I bought for your birthday” ...  the “other one I bought for your birthday” 

Wisdom!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    calling @Twinfan ;
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3823
    People like to humanise everything. Look at all the cat and dog (or any animal) stuff all over the Internet. It's weird. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    All my guitars have names, as do the two cars in our household.  It's just a bit of fun.  Unlike a screwdriver, a guitar or car is a much more personal acquisition that I have a habit of getting attached to.

You don't have to understand it if it's not your thing.  I don't get the fascination with knackered old vintage guitars but they seem popular with other people...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    People like to humanise everything. Look at all the cat and dog (or any animal) stuff all over the Internet. It's weird. 
    Are you suggesting that pets shouldn't have names ? 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3823
    edited March 2020

sgosden said:
    Are you suggesting that pets shouldn't have names ? 

Ha   

No, just generally acting like they're little people. 
    Look he's kissing his daddy! Either that or it's licking the salty oil off your face.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It almost puts me off buying a guitar if it's referred to as "she" in the advert, let alone giving it a name. If that were the case I'd expect it to show a Jackson Pollock finish under black light. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    It almost puts me off buying a guitar if it's referred to as "she" in the advert, let alone giving it a name. If that were the case I'd expect it to show a Jackson Pollock finish under black light. 
    Reminds of the most cringe-inducing post I ever saw on the Facebook Gibson Les Paul group. 

A picture of three Les Pauls in a row with the caption "Who's getting Daddy's love tonight? I love to make my girls scream".

Shudder.
    Tim
    4reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    timmypix said:
    It almost puts me off buying a guitar if it's referred to as "she" in the advert, let alone giving it a name. If that were the case I'd expect it to show a Jackson Pollock finish under black light. 
    Reminds of the most cringe-inducing post I ever saw on the Facebook Gibson Les Paul group. 

A picture of three Les Pauls in a row with the caption "Who's getting Daddy's love tonight? I love to make my girls scream".

Shudder.
    I can only assume 'Mr 3 Les Pauls' is on some sort of register. If not, he should be.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22991
    Rowby1 said:
    I’ve never really understood this, also referring to them as she or he. They’re just inanimate objects as far as I’m concerned (all be it sometimes highly desirable and/or of sentimental value). 

Mrs Rowby however does have names for them. My latest acquisition is know the “big red one” which I think sounds quite cool. Others include the “boring black one” (Ebony LP Std), the “brown stripey one” (Honeyburst LP Std), the “one I bought for your birthday” (Heritage H-535), the “other one I bought for your birthday” (Gretsch 5420), the “little silver one” (Tele) and my personal favourite the “strat” (Strat) ;)
    I think they're descriptions rather than names, that's OK.  It's only when you start calling them Paulette or Lulabelle or something that it gets silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Rowby1 said:

I think they're descriptions rather than names, that's OK.  It's only when you start calling them Paulette or Lulabelle or something that it gets silly.
    I would agree but she uses them as names. For example she might say “I’ve not seen you play Brown Stripey for a while” 
    Philly_Q said:

Your silly = my bit of harmless fun  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Twinfan said:
    Philly_Q said:

Your silly = my bit of harmless fun  :)
    So what are your guitars called @Twinfan ?
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Never have but our drummer recently referred to my new The Paul as Billy Gibson, kinda like it! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rowby1 said:

In no particular order:

The Empress
    Mrs P
    Eve
    The Green Manalishi
    Stevie
    Sir Charles
    The Siren
    Ruby Tuesday

Our cars are called Ken and Wolfie (Wolfgang).

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Rowby1 said:

In no particular order:

The Empress
    Mrs P
    Eve
    The Green Manalishi
    Stevie
    Sir Charles
    The Siren
    Ruby Tuesday

Our cars are called Ken and Wolfie (Wolfgang).

I recall Kermit - green PRS