What's Hot
2»

Comments

• justtt007justtt007 Frets: 205
    Neck alignment looks spot on to me also
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    justtt007 said:
    It does have a belly cut yes, and yes the slippage is only below the 12th fret, very curious as to how you knew that though??? Lol
    Got a pic of the headstock? It has the Axis logo right?
    Yes it has axis on it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    Well, there's transitional guitars and TRANSITIONAL guitars.

Yours, providing the neck alignment is actually good, may be TRANSITIONAL.

The high E past the 12th was a famous quirk of the EVH model. Eddie's specs and scanned neck resulted in a high e string that would slip off the neck depending on vibrato style, his of course was a style that didnt result in this.

They widened the neck past the 12th a fraction of a gnats pube on the axis which rectified the slippage.

But there's always been speculation that a few of the very earliest Axis had EVH necks that had an axis badge put on them.

So that's cool.

There's also the Axis EX which was a Japan assembled instrument, made with left over EVH bodies and necks. But they dont have any headstock decal, had the pickup selector in the old position and no belly cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tekbow said:
    Well, there's transitional guitars and TRANSITIONAL guitars.

Yours, providing the neck alignment is actually good, may be TRANSITIONAL.

The high E past the 12th was a famous quirk of the EVH model. Eddie's specs and scanned neck resulted in a high e string that would slip off the neck depending on vibrato style, his of course was a style that didnt result in this.

They widened the neck past the 12th a fraction of a gnats pube on the axis which rectified the slippage.

But there's always been speculation that a few of the very earliest Axis had EVH necks that had an axis badge put on them.

So that's cool.

There's also the Axis EX which was a Japan assembled instrument, made with left over EVH bodies and necks. But they dont have any headstock decal, had the pickup selector in the old position and no belly cut.
    You have some seriously impressive knowledge of these fair play! My friend has a 94 ebmm evh and he says that this axis of mine is identical in feel so I'm thinking that you're spot on with what you've said. Makes me love it even more now!
    It's worth mentioning that I was a member of the EBMM forum, but have not posted there for years.

A touch.. culty.. that being said, I find a lot of brand or model specific forums to be similar.

It has to be said, I prefer the modified axis neck, but if yours indeed has a left over EVH neck with Axis decal, that's a very cool thing :+1: 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23198
    tekbow said:
    Yup, that has an offset saddle Gotoh bridge, so what some enthusiasts would call a transitional.
    Looking at the pics, it the allen bolts at the front of the saddles which are offset, to make them easier to access because they're not directly under the strings?
    I didn't realise that was a feature of the Gotoh Floyd.  Seems a good idea, I wonder why they changed it?
    Philly_Q said:
    tekbow said:
    Yup, that has an offset saddle Gotoh bridge, so what some enthusiasts would call a transitional.
    Looking at the pics, it the allen bolts at the front of the saddles which are offset, to make them easier to access because they're not directly under the strings?
    I didn't realise that was a feature of the Gotoh Floyd.  Seems a good idea, I wonder why they changed it?
    Thats exactly right.

It was a feature of the Gotoh Floyd that they made OEM for Musicman (has EBMM branding), but not their own floyd variant, or the Ibanez edge.

Later they basically started rebranding 1996T's as EBMM, and in the last few years EBMM dont use Gotoh at all.

I agree, it's very useful. Not sure why they stopped making it.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    justtt007 said:
    Very pleased with these 2, got the axis and picked up a pc1! So impressed with both!

96 axis and Jackson pc1 https://imgur.com/gallery/ix1Wdbo
    Wow! That can't have been a cheap shopping trip

Beautiful guitars - congratulations 
    DavusPG said:
    justtt007 said:
    Very pleased with these 2, got the axis and picked up a pc1! So impressed with both!

96 axis and Jackson pc1 https://imgur.com/gallery/ix1Wdbo
    Wow! That can't have been a cheap shopping trip

Beautiful guitars - congratulations 
    Thanks, it was more than I intended spending this morning was only really looking for an axis but after playing a pc1 I just couldn't pass up the opportunity of owning one very special guitar in my opinion