How d'ya fancy having a long, hard look at my Johnson? [NGD - Fender Strat with F Hole content]

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8812
edited March 2020 in Guitar
Latest gratuitous acquisition, and early indications suggest it could be one of the best: Fender Eric Johnson Thinline Stratocaster.

Lightweight, resonant, super sustain, low action, lovely neck with medium jumbo frets and 12" radius.  Only 2953 gms / 6 lb 8 oz, with all the quack, spank and twang a Strat should give a man.  Really rather my cup of double decaf skinny chai latte.

Few things I enjoy more than conjuring animal cries of pleasure by caressing the sinuous curves of my Johnson.

Pictures!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
4reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Usually I find f-holes in Strats abhorrent, but this is really tasteful. Is the bridge locked-down with all those springs? I'm thinking of doing similar with my Strat to improve the sustain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8812
    timhulio said:
    Usually I find f-holes in Strats abhorrent, but this is really tasteful. Is the bridge locked-down with all those springs? I'm thinking of doing similar with my Strat to improve the sustain.
    Yep: you can lower pitch with the Wang bar but not raise it. Obviously it’s adjustable should one wish to remove a couple of springs, but seems v stable in its current state.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    On a sunburst it doesn't'look too out of place but on solid colours the f-hole makes me think of coach lanterns on a Lamborghini.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    My two least favourite things on a Strat: sunburst and f holes. I bet it sounds great though. 
    boogieman said:
    My two least favourite things on a Strat: sunburst and f holes. I bet it sounds great though. 
    Better than great :)

Better than sex, frankly :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Well F hole my Strat I am starting to think F holes are making guitars we love way better. Nice score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well F hole my Strat I am starting to think F holes are making guitars we love way better. Nice score
    Thanks, amigo.  I'm A/B-ing this thing with my Custom Shop Strat (currently up for grabs in the classifieds...) and this has definitely got something different/extra: it's almost as if it has an onboard reverb unit.  Guess that's a product of the semi hollow construction.  Anyway it's got me back to trying to learn the last bits of Sultans of Swing, to the joy and edification of my family, neighbours etc :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

Sassafras said:
    On a sunburst it doesn't'look too out of place but on solid colours the f-hole makes me think of coach lanterns on a Lamborghini.
    Good job this one's a burst, then :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Lovely. I've decided I'm going to sign up for online lessons in the coming weeks, & I thought, as a reward for myself if I stick with it for a year, I'd treat myself to a guitar, and the power of deduction put something like the EJ Strat very high up the list of possibilities...

How's the neck?
    Tenebrous said:
    Lovely. I've decided I'm going to sign up for online lessons in the coming weeks, & I thought, as a reward for myself if I stick with it for a year, I'd treat myself to a guitar, and the power of deduction put something like the EJ Strat very high up the list of possibilities...

How's the neck?
    Wonderful.  It was one of the parts of the package I was dubious about, buying unplayed and unseen, where the reviews suggest it's a chunky soft V, and I'm not a fan of big necks.

In fact the V is barely discernible: FAR less than my custom shop Strat, which in turn I believe is modelled on a Clapton, and it fits perfectly into my delicate, poet's hands.  What I think really makes it work for me is the 12" radius: unusual on a Strat, but instantly familiar from my 60s necked Gibsons.  

I appreciate much of this gushing may be the excitement of a new purchase, but I've bought (and sold) a fair few over the last few years on here, and this one is truly outstanding.  Good luck with the year of lessons (how to make self isolation fly by) and do go try one.  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2374
    Yeah that works for me. A take on a classic. Nice one.