Epiphone LP Special DC

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
Well, following on the heels of the Epi LP thread I thought I'd post this, as I can find virtually nothing about the LP Special Double Cutaway.

I've always like the double cutaway Les Paul shape so jumped on this when I saw it advertised nearby for what I consider a very good price (£150). It needed a clean, re-string and set-up but it is now a lovely instrument to play. I know it's 1994 and made by Samick and is mostly mahogany (although alder gets a mention as body wood) but otherwise any more info on these things would be appreciated. The very few internet links are mostly to dead Reverb or Ebay listings. 

Even the MyLesPaul website isn't very helpful.

PS, I'm not bothered about the headstock shape! :)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    The cosmetics of your Epi strike a halfway house between a Special and a ¾ student model. 

No law against P90s on an Alder body. If stock Epi pickups are made by G&B, keep them. 

At £150, none of these quibbles matters.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The cosmetics of your Epi strike a halfway house between a Special and a ¾ student model. 

No law against P90s on an Alder body. If stock Epi pickups are made by G&B, keep them. 

At £150, none of these quibbles matters.
    Thanks @Funkfingers ;
    I see what you mean about the cross-bred features. I thought the body seemed quite compact, although I put that down to the neck joining the body at the 20th fret rather than the 22nd.

As for the alder body, I suspect that that was bogus info - they were apparently all mahogany at this point. Makes sense as the body is made up of three obvious pieces of wood. 

Oddly for me, I haven't had the pickups off yet! I'll have to check them out next re-string. I've had it to a couple of band practices and done a little recording with it and I have to say that it sounds very good, Sweet and gnarly by turns.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom