Bought a Cassette 4 track - it`s great!

What's Hot
Had a yamaha MT3X (I think!) back in the 90s - was reminiscing and popped an advert on FB to see if anyone local was selling a cassette 4 track.

Couple of replies with guys selling Tascams that seem to go for a surprisingly large amount of money. Then a reply from a guy selling a Yamaha MT400 - had it 10 years, never used it, would be happy with £25. Bargain. Turned up next day and it was in great nick with power supply and instructions.

Works perfectly, and TBH I`ve had more fun playing with this in the past week than I`ve had with PC based recording over the past few years. It`s refreshingly option free and sounds great!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was using my Tascam until very recently when I decided I needed a permanent migraine and began exploring digital recording. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6704
    The immediacy and simplicity of 4 track "portastudios" is great. Best musical sketchpad around. I'd love to have one again. There's a dirty and gritty sound to that Analogue stuff that I love, all the wow & flutter, tape hiss etc. Delicious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1277
    edited March 2020
    I had a Tascam. Used to love 'driving' the inputs to get a real warm sound, almost touch of breakup.

Also, bouncing down the tracks (I can't remember the max you could do) -but there is something nice about committing to sub-mixes that gets lost in the process these days.

Happy memories...

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I think I need something like this in my life - just simple plug and play! does the job, sound decent! Hope to hear how you get on with it. What buying tapes like these days?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 867
    Tapes are surprisingly expensive! £45 for a pack of good chrome ones on amazon. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    newi123 said:
    Tapes are surprisingly expensive! £45 for a pack of good chrome ones on amazon. 
     Woaaaaa I might have a few 'nos' (:-P) tapes knocking around. Supply and Demand has hit it hard! More expensive than valves! 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 867
    Do NOS tapes sound better??????? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    What is the hierarchy between Ampex, Quantegy and Reel Deal Pro Audio? (Have you seen the prices being asked for any of these?)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    I still have my Tascam 424 Mk II, along with an unopened 20th century TDK SA90. Saving it for a special occasion!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom