"Repairing" a Boo Boo body - splits and knots!

What's Hot
I'm eying up a couple of guitar bodies from boo boo. Where some have knots, I'm not so bothered. Was planning a Wudtone finish but I wondered how to go about repairing splits? Would the base coat and sanding do the job to patch them up? I'm not after a flawless finish otherwise I would pay more for the body, but really I'd like it to be half decent ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    The question you need to ask yourself is this. Has this spread of splitting wood sections finished deforming?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    ^ wisdom from @Funkfingers - depends entirely on the body in question; is it one currently on their site?
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Consider all the work you’ll be putting in to prepping, finishing, building and setting up this guitar. If you’re budget will stretch a bit I’d get a non split body and end up with a better overall guitar.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited March 2020
    If its a solid colour and the split is small enough then fill it.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    Actually I was torn between one with a split and one with just a knot. This:
     https://www.boobooguitars.co.uk/collections/guitar-bodies/products/tc-body-512282

And if anyone buys it in the next 24 hours I'll be cross. 
    Conversely you can get something like this for £81.... https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/guitar-bodies/products/tc-body-827621
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
     I would look at Alder over Poplar especially if working with Osmo or Wudtone as I found poplar was not a good wood for these finishes some parts of it would simply never take the oil and it sort of just sat on the top. Fine if you are doing a conventional sealer type coat but I loath poplar. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    skinfreak said:
     https://www.boobooguitars.co.uk/collections/guitar-bodies/products/tc-body-512282

Conversely you can get something like this for £81.... https://www.guitarbuild.co.uk/collections/guitar-bodies/products/tc-body-827621
    For the extra £15 I think I’d just go to guitarbuild
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Oh man. You buggers. You're not convincing me to save the borked wood....
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    skinfreak said:

If you're handy with tools, you could rout out the know, nick a bit of wood from under the scratchplate and graft it onto the body. But that's a lot of work to save £15.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Just do yourself a favour and get a pukka job from Guitarbuild, you will be glad you did as the faults in the BooBoo will probably always niggle
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I might have another look on fleabay for individual bodies...
    edited March 2020
    Ok! I changed plans and bought this instead! 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254542839925

I'm going to break this baby up. I had a voucher plus I don't need to needlessly buy a bunch of black hardware... Cos it's already got it black hardware. £99 plus postage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    eBay link now produces “sorry, you missed out on this item” message and proffers a random budget guitar instead.  :/

eBay link now produces “sorry, you missed out on this item” message and proffers a random budget guitar instead.  :/

Dang nabbit. Here you go... 

edited March 2020
    I'm increasingly convinced that I don't think I will want to rip the above guitar apart and put this neck on it... 

I'm not quite there. This Partscaster journey has gone weird.
    Screw it. I'm going to do it. Once this COVID stuff sorts itself out and i can actually get the damn parts, this is going to be fun. Got a bunch of pickups in the drawer (including a set of PRS dragon 2s). Sod it. 

Apparently, both guitars are immaculate but we all know what that means, 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    skinfreak said:
    Screw it. I'm going to do it. Once this COVID stuff sorts itself out and i can actually get the damn parts, this is going to be fun. Got a bunch of pickups in the drawer (including a set of PRS dragon 2s). Sod it. 

Apparently, both guitars are immaculate but we all know what that means, 
    Do the neck swap! The joy of parts that are interchangeable is that you can change them back again if you don’t like it....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

… or if they do not fit very well.

T type necks usually have a squared off end with rounded corners. S type necks usually end in a gentle arc. Hence, an S neck can fit into a T pocket (leaving an air gap) but an S pocket will not accommodate a T neck.

Even assuming that your two necks are interchangeable, the only difference that the swap will produce is cosmetic. i.e. You will make a Squier HH Telecaster resemble a Chapman ML3.  :s

IMO, each of your guitars could benefit from pickup and control parts upgrades. The body wood in the Showmaster may be nothing special but the main tone sapper is the Sung-il two-point vibrato.
    I'm intending on really playing around and replacing all the electronics. Not interested in the Showmaster body but will keep it around in case I don't like the neck swap on the Tele.

New electrics, saddles, tuners, pickups, nut etc