Good hardtail super strats with non-wafer thin necks?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Philly_Q said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Tenebrous said:

I like the look of the Ibanez AZ, but it has a super wizard neck, so I'm having to likely rule it out.

The Ibanez AZ does not have a thin neck. I'd say it's between a Charvel and a Fender modern C (I've played all these). Upper fret access is excellent even on the 22 fret models.

The specs are on their product pages.

Oh damn, really? The Andertons product pages really threw me off. That's huge for me...

Thanks all for  the recommendations, but now I know that, I'm kinda sold. The Charvel looks cool, but I've loved the looks of this since I saw it... https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/az2202a_00_01.html

Time to practice for a year to justify owning (another) such instrument.

Yeah, the AZ neck is an "AZ Oval" profile, 20.5mm at the first fret and 22.5mm at the 12th.  To me personally that's still pretty skinny, but nowhere near Wizard skinny.  On those measurements it's ever so slightly fatter than a Fender Modern C.

The AZ series is the nearest I've been to GAS-ing for an Ibanez in the last 30 years.

Ahh man, the modern C on my Telecaster is the nicest neck on any guitar I've ever played. The AZ looks like the one...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    ICBM said:

Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1 HH HT

(Edit: yes, it has coil splits as stock.)
    Another vote for a Charvel - the HS HT is nice too, with a neck single coil. Played both versions and they're good guitars.
  • Blackmachine B6 is great for all that you described

I would love one of them... no way I can afford it at the moment though, even if there were any for sale!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Awesome necks on these, no factory coil split though, unless you don't mind a bit of soldering.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    KrisGee said:
    Awesome necks on these, no factory coil split though, unless you don't mind a bit of soldering.

Do these have an asymmetric neck like the axis?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I was going to say Charvel, but everyone beat me to the punch :)

How about a Jim Root Strat?
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    KrisGee said:

Compound radius dude.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 718
    edited March 2020
    Blackmachine B6 is great for all that you described

This x1000 - B6 isn’t _crazy_ priced like the B2s end up being listed at (who know for sale prices). 

@FelineGuitars - are you still making B6s? I noticed they’re not on your new fancy website. 

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332

When I took a several year break from electric guitar, I sold all my USA Fenders & other pieces before I sold my 611HFM, which was the last guitar standing.

When I got back into electric guitar, the 611VFM was the first guitar I bought.

Needless to say, I think they're bloody stunning instruments, and the amount of guitar you get for the money, especially second hand, is ridiculously good.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    Blackmachine B6 is great for all that you described

This x1000 - B6 isn’t _crazy_ priced like the B2s end up being listed at (who know for sale prices). 

@FelineGuitars - are you still making B6s? I noticed they’re not on your new fancy website. 

Yes for now but we are going to stop at some point so didn't choose to big them up .
    However we have 5 completed in stock and two 7 strings too

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    Tenebrous said:

When I took a several year break from electric guitar, I sold all my USA Fenders & other pieces before I sold my 611HFM, which was the last guitar standing.

When I got back into electric guitar, the 611VFM was the first guitar I bought.

Needless to say, I think they're bloody stunning instruments, and the amount of guitar you get for the money, especially second hand, is ridiculously good.
    Got one of these. Only thing as regards the OP is that the neck pickup is a P90 rather than a splittable HB. Otherwise a ridiculously good and very versatile guitar (and not just for the money). SD pickups, Grover looking tuners, and Graphtech nut and saddles on an instrument that set me back £470 new.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    Schecter C-1 has a surprising thickish neck for a metal looking guitar. I had a Lady Luck model, neck measured 21mm at 1st fret and 23mm at 12th, pretty chunky for a shredder compared to Ibanez or Jackson which are usually something like 19mm/21mm respectively.

You can get tune-o-matic version and I think most have coil-split, at least mine had 2V 1T with push/pull on tone pot. Really light too, 6.6lbs.

• A bit custom order, but a Kiesel Delos? 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    KrisGee said:
    KrisGee said:

Compound radius dude.
    I think it’s asymmetric as well as compound .