String tree issue?

What's Hot
On my partscaster Tele, the butterfly 60s style string tree is quite low and a bit nearer but (but not much) the nut than some Fenders. B & E strings sound a bit dulled and ring out more when I lift string out of the tree. Raising action at bridge doesn’t solve dull sound. Should I replace tree or muck around with height of existing one? Or something else? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    The string tree should have a spacer under it. You may need a longer screw as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    No spacer. I’ll lift it up and experiment. Must have a few small screws around...
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Or you. Could replace the tuners for staggered ones
    I’m a cheapskate! A washer sounds more economical.
    I don't think staggered heads would solve the problem anyway - it's the steep angle between the nut and the tree that's causing it. I've never found that staggered heads *without* a tree give *enough* angle, so you still need one.

If you fit a set of staggered heads with the lowest for the G and D, then the E and B, then the tallest for the A and low E, with a string tree and a spacer about 4mm or so, you should find that the break angle on all six strings is quite similar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hats off to forumites: raised the tree and it’s much better. Just need to bag a retainer for sake of neatness (and they look pretty cheap on eBay.) Thanks!
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I often use a string ball end as a spacer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Wish I’d thought of that!
    Most ball ends are too small a diameter to get the right screw through. I usually use standard nylon PCB standoffs - 5mm diameter, 4mm high, 3mm bore is about right.

Update: after changing strings this week, I found that the B & E strings ring truer without being held down by the string tree even with retainer in place which obviously reduces angle to nut. I can't quite get why Teles use several different locations for the tree - higher on headstock on most 50s models and then lower in the 60s... Oh well, the guitar sounds good despite loss of visually iconic tree. I wonder if the nut needs pro fettle? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    The first three ideas off the top of my head: Someone didn’t notice. Someone didn’t care. It didn’t get in the way of the logo.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.