Can't see how smaller music stores can survive now - and maybe not even some of the bigger stores

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3484
    rossi said:
    I think the world we know it has changed.We dont realiize it yet but it took us 20 years to recover from the war and huge Government spending .That was with an America who  had grown wealthier in the war years .This time its shit all over and we are seeing only the first wave of this virus .it will take at least two years to develop a vaccination for it and thats only if it works .It will take years to vaccinate everyone  .On the back of pestilance come famine and war .The four horsemen are off the LP covers and trotting down  our streets .I really hope I am a silly old fart who has read too many history books.
    Don't forget climate change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    TL:DR, but 2 possibilities spring to mind. One, the bigger stores eventually discount whatever they can, to improve cash flow. The little man probably goes under. Two, the bigger stores see the bigger picture, and actually make a point of not discounting, using social media to push this message, and probably winning new customers.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 296
    rossi said:
    I think the world we know it has changed.We dont realiize it yet but it took us 20 years to recover from the war and huge Government spending .That was with an America who  had grown wealthier in the war years .This time its shit all over and we are seeing only the first wave of this virus .it will take at least two years to develop a vaccination for it and thats only if it works .It will take years to vaccinate everyone  .On the back of pestilance come famine and war .The four horsemen are off the LP covers and trotting down  our streets .I really hope I am a silly old fart who has read too many history books.
    I think you need to get out more - oh,sorry I forgot.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    rossi said:
    It’s unlikely to take 2 years to get a working vaccine and considerably less than that to vaccinate the whole UK. I suspect we’ll get a vaccine in record time, given the scale of the problem, perhaps by the end of the year.

If it took 2 years the virus would have spread so far in the meantime (given its virulence plus lack of compliance with isolation measures) that herd immunity would already have developed but at the expense of many, many lives lost. If you look at the graphs for what happens if we do nothing, there’s an exponential peak above medical capacity, but the whole thing ends in a few months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72799
    TINMAN82 said:

If it took 2 years the virus would have spread so far in the meantime (given its virulence plus lack of compliance with isolation measures) that herd immunity would already have developed but at the expense of many, many lives lost. If you look at the graphs for what happens if we do nothing, there’s an exponential peak above medical capacity, but the whole thing ends in a few months.
    Harsh though it sounds, that's actually the most effective strategy to minimise the economic impact and maximise natural immunity - we just can't accept it as a deliberate strategy morally. But if people don't take account of the restrictions and the government don't impose Chinese levels of forced compliance, we may get it anyway whether we like it or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4977
    Well, if most people have caught it within the two years, then a vaccine won't be needed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2020
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Harsh though it sounds, that's actually the most effective strategy to minimise the economic impact and maximise natural immunity - we just can't accept it as a deliberate strategy morally. But if people don't take account of the restrictions and the government don't impose Chinese levels of forced compliance, we may get it anyway whether we like it or not.
    I think the truth is (unless improving weather or regional genetics play a part noone has predicted) we will now have some version of that whatever we do. By that I mean the “let it spread like wildfire” strategy. Because it’s bound to be more prevalent than testing suggests already and it takes over 2 weeks for any intervention to start working (whoever is incubating it right now will present in 2 weeks whether or not we go on a military enforced lockdown today or not).
  • rossirossi Frets: 1710
    CarpeDiem said:
    rossi said:
    I think you need to get out more - oh,sorry I forgot.....

great joke but I think maybe you should have stayed in more and  done a reality check,nothing goes as planned .
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12694
    I don't think I'm allowed to say who (yet) but one of the big stores is going to be closing as of tonight - not for good, but temporarily due to the virus.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5455
    Anderton's is closed now, but they didn't really make a fanfare out of it. They closed for the weekend due to "staff shortages" and said they were going to try to open today, but they haven't. Mailorder still operating...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Forcing business to close that are non essential is the only way it’ll stop, anyone who is allowed to trade, aside from some retail deciding not to, is furiously and defiantly trading. 

Also, online still ok? Someone in a Warehouse has to pick and pack it, then it goes on it’s journey through a parcel network etc, all those people have to get to work - just one example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    edited March 2020
    Whitecat said:
    Anderton's is closed now, but they didn't really make a fanfare out of it. They closed for the weekend due to "staff shortages" and said they were going to try to open today, but they haven't. Mailorder still operating...

Lee Anderton has a video up on facebook.  He's self isolating as his daughter has a fever.  From what he said, the shop will be closed for the next couple of weeks at least - but they will keep reviewing it.  It might well end up being much longer.

They are trying to keep the warehouse and mail order going for now.
    Richtone are now on reserve and collect only.

GAK just announced retail shop closure "except by limited appointment" 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2616
    For some retailers the calculation will be that to get significant sales at the current level of uncertainty discounts would have to be massive.  Better to hold on to your stock and hope you can get better prices later.  Probably not pre-crisis prices but hopefully better than you can get now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    For some retailers the calculation will be that to get significant sales at the current level of uncertainty discounts would have to be massive.  Better to hold on to your stock and hope you can get better prices later.  Probably not pre-crisis prices but hopefully better than you can get now.
    Actually, for a lot of the shops it more about keeping their staff and themselves safe. Whilst money comes into it, it isn't the overall decider... I say that after speaking to folks in the industry.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14515
    tFB Trader
    It will depend on their existing cash reserves/cash flow and I dare say all stores will be different

It is possible to run a business for many months and not make a profit - But you can't run a business, no matter how successful or profitable it is, for many days without cash 

Cash is king 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4777
    It will depend on their existing cash reserves/cash flow and I dare say all stores will be different

It is possible to run a business for many months and not make a profit - But you can't run a business, no matter how successful or profitable it is, for many days without cash 

Cash is king 
    Yup, businesses live or die through cash flow. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Peach just announced store closure.