SM57a Beta versus SM57 versus Audix i5

WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
edited March 2020 in Studio & Recording
I grabbed an Audix i5 recently, so took this as an opportunity to shoot out my three "guitar cab friendly" mics. Here is a clip:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15jd8nliOUsmMV_POFI9rT0kJT8Jv-Ag_/view?fbclid=IwAR3JZBkrNOsIoVQsDdbHWTYhvVpJwMLe4im2H7kVCJjlDmjWP0zgCOginY0

You'll hear where the gaps of silence are. That's the end of the take and where the next microphone comes in. Three mics. double tracked. Reamp'd the same DIs for each mic. Positioning on the cab is nigh enough 100% the same. I marked it off with tape before switching them out.

Order is below - spoiler in case you want to do a blind listen first:

SM57a beta

SM57

Audix i5

Gotta say... this was quite revealing for me! I don't think I really like the SM57a !!!!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    Quite hard to compare them fairly because the first one is a lot louder than the others. On a quick listen I thought the first one was probably the best nonetheless. The middle one is horrible. Quite liked the last one.

(Haven't looked at the answers...)
    (Now I have looked at the answers... interesting!)
  • Didnt like the middle one.  Thought the first was the best, but the 3rd wasnt far behind.
  • Now Ive looked at the answers too - not surprised actually.
  • 3rd one is best for me, followed by the 2nd. Didn’t like the 1st one at all. It would be interesting to hear them in a mix.
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited March 2020
    Stuckfast said:
    Quite hard to compare them fairly because the first one is a lot louder than the others. 
    It actually wasn't on the meters, but the huge "presence" aka SHIT AREA boost doesn't help things!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the 57a.

Bye!

Well I just listened again and still liked the 57a best! Not sure what that proves. The standard 57 just sounds weedy and strained, and the Audix sounds muddy. The 57a is bright but the sound gels in a way that I don't hear on the others -- I'm not getting that annoying effect where you hear a nice guitar sound with an added layer of fizz, as you often do with bright mics.

Ever tried an MD409?
  • Nah not tried the 409. Used the 421 stacks of times

Bye!