Someone's had really bad luck with tuners

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418

His brand loyalty is impressive in the face of such a failure rate.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    And don't expect any backup from Roland/Boss when they go wrong.  I have a CS3 and an AC3 which are both basically door stops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    A bargain for @ICBM.
     :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72484
    edited March 2020
    Sassafras said:
    A bargain for @ICBM.

Too expensive, and I can pretty much guarantee that the TU-2s are junk.

It looks like he might be a repair tech clearing out scrap - at least one of the TU-2s has been stripped for parts. The TU-2 is one of the Boss pedals that's hard to repair if something fails in the digital part of the circuit, and it's one of the most common - possibly the single most common, I can't remember - Boss pedal, so they tend to show up dead more than most others.

uncledick said:
    And don't expect any backup from Roland/Boss when they go wrong.  I have a CS3 and an AC3 which are both basically door stops.
    That would also apply to the AC-3, digital pedals can be difficult if they use proprietary chips. The CS-3 is fixable though, there's nothing in that which can't be replaced - assuming someone hasn't tried to mod it and buggered the PCB, that might be a bit of a problem (at least economically).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    Not a tuner, but my BD-2 is basically a paperweight. Despite their reputation for bombproof reliability i won't be buying Boss pedals again. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    Not a tuner, but my BD-2 is basically a paperweight. Despite their reputation for bombproof reliability i won't be buying Boss pedals again. 
    That will also be easily fixable, it's a simple analogue pedal.

Nothing is totally failure-proof, but they do seem to be more reliable than other pedals generally, given how many have been made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:
    That will also be easily fixable, it's a simple analogue pedal.

Nothing is totally failure-proof, but they do seem to be more reliable than other pedals generally, given how many have been made.
    Actually the problem is with the jack socket. Sadly it's a fully enclosed item so you can't reach the contact to bend it to hold the plug properly.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    These started out as a much larger job lot of pedals on facebook a few months ago. I think it’s the same guy just selling off whatever he can’t get rid of...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

HAL9000 said:

Actually the problem is with the jack socket. Sadly it's a fully enclosed item so you can't reach the contact to bend it to hold the plug properly.
    Just replace the jack.

These started out as a much larger job lot of pedals on facebook a few months ago. I think it’s the same guy just selling off whatever he can’t get rid of...
    I'd have the CS-3 for a tenner and the Ken Multi for a fiver, but the rest is probably just scrap.

Unless you need a Boss jack :).

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    You always have to be careful with stuff like this. A classic trick for repairers in the laptop world when they can't fix a board is to break the DC socket ... then advertise it on ebay as can't test because DC socket is broken. Some semi skilled guy thinks he's gonna buy it cheap and swap the DC socket and all is gonna be good but he's really in for a disappointment. There are complete laptops made entirely of duff parts  .... it's a classic trick to make money from duff parts.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom