Mailing a neck packaging solutions?

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
Any genius ideas for packing up a stratocaster neck to mail? A drainpipe or poster tube inside a cardboard box? Thing is, as I'm in lockdown in Italy, I have to be really inventive and use only what I have in the house. I have lots of bubblewrap.

I thought GAS would be down during this period. Instead, everyone is at home with time on their hands. No amp sales as these are in person. Delivery vans are still working so lighter gear is still selling.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    Lots of bubble wrap and brown vinyl tape should be okay - Will be surprised it fits in a poster tube with appropriate wrapping as well
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Lots of bubble wrap and brown vinyl tape should be okay - Will be surprised it fits in a poster tube with appropriate wrapping as well
    inside folded up cardboard? I don't have any long cardboard boxes exactly perfect but I can adapt the cardboard from a box. I guess the bubble wrap will help make it stronger, I just wish there was something more resilient. I thought about putting a lmongpiece of wood in there too to help with the structure but maybe I'm getting a little paranoid.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    I think that a substantial amount of bubble wrap will be fine - Use enough and it will almost be impossible to get any damage - If you want, then place a 'sheet' of cardboard around the guitar first, for additional support, but good bubble wrap should be no issue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think that a substantial amount of bubble wrap will be fine - Use enough and it will almost be impossible to get any damage - If you want, then place a 'sheet' of cardboard around the guitar first, for additional support, but good bubble wrap should be no issue
    Thank you, sir.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    A Strat neck is very hard to break. As long as you protect it from indentation damage it will be fine - you could probably put it across two chairs and sit on it without much risk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Don’t suppose you work in an office with a big A0/A1 plotter do you ? I ask because the boxes/tubes those rolls of paper come in are perfect 
    DrBob said:
    Don’t suppose you work in an office with a big A0/A1 plotter do you ? I ask because the boxes/tubes those rolls of paper come in are perfect 
    I'm in lockdown but my girlfriend still goes to work in the mornings. I'll see if they have something but I doubt it.

DrBob said:
    The irony is there are at least a dozen print shops in my street as I live in the university area. All shut due to the lockdown.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    If you fold a box into a triangle shape, that works really well.  It's what Warmoth use to send their necks out.  Put some bubblewrap around the neck too.
    PhilKing said:
    If you fold a box into a triangle shape, that works really well.  It's what Warmoth use to send their necks out.  Put some bubblewrap around the neck too.
    That sounds good advice. I’ll give that a try. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Buy a large poster tube. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18890
    lukedlb said:
    PhilKing said:
    That sounds good advice. I’ll give that a try. 
    Be careful in case some postman mistakes it for a giant Toblerone.
    Just saying... ;)