K&K won't fit - is iBeam any good?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    camf said:
    I need to hang on to it as the M80 is back with LR Bagg being repaired. :p  If the M80 comes back okay, I might have an M1a going spare though. 
    The M1A is too microphonic for what I want it for... I know that's the whole point, and makes it more 'acoustic' sounding! But no good with overdrive :(.

mbwhite said:

But the guitar came with a Fishman UST. The original D18 owner didn't remember which model though. I have a couple of questions.
    If I remove it a new saddle should be put on the bridge? I guess its thickness is now part of the whole setup of the guitar.
    I hate USTs, do hate them so much that I don't want even to try it. But now I have an HX Stomp, it's not an Aura or Tonedexter, but I could apply a good IR to it. Does it worth trying?
    Or would you buy an Aura to use it or a K&K to plug into my Headway EDB2?
    Try it. Or if you're unsure, listen to this...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/175640/ditching-your-onboard-preamp

It's not an HX Stomp - but neither is it an Aura. It's still designed to apply modelling to a UST signal though, so that what you hear isn't the pickup itself.

I've got a Fishman UST in my Gibson, because due to a bit of annoying woodwork on the bridgeplate, I can't fit a K&K. I did have an Aura Spectrum for it, which was great when set up just right, but also *very* sensitive to precise adjustments, and could sound terrible as well as great! I currently have a Boss AD-8, which doesn't sound as great but also not as terrible... I haven't tried the Zoom AC-3 yet, but I should.

If you do remove the UST you will need to shim or replace the bridge, unless the action is currently around 1mm too high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    How about ... the ... Fishman Blend? 
    No, thank you. It sucks.

Ok, that's me told, I'll shut up about pickups ;)

The Boss AD range of acoustic pedal/pre-amps do improve any piezo under-saddle sounds a lot.
    Yeah, acoustic pickups seem to one of one of the most subjective areas of the guitar world. I watched a Hiss Golden Messenger solo gig a few months ago and he was using a Dimarzio Angel and it sounded superb. It might not be anyone else’s idea of amplified acoustic but it gave me assurance that a decent soundhole pickup is a perfectly serviceable basis of an acoustic singer/songwriter show. Perhaps if I was just playing solo acoustic I might feel differently. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    I hate USTs, do hate them so much that I don't want even to try it. But now I have an HX Stomp, it's not an Aura or Tonedexter, but I could apply a good IR to it. Does it worth trying?

I've been experimenting with IRs recently. If you are half technically minded you may like to check out what jonfields45 has been doing over at AGF. Make your own IR from your guitar/mic combo.

I'm a TD user but have been playing with the possibilities for some guys I play with, fiddle, bass. I make IRs for them, then load them into a Mooer Radar (cheapest IR loader I've found). Trials on guitar look amazing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    edited April 2020
    I need a pickup for a Vintage Gibson J-200 sounds like a K&K is the way to go. Anyone foresee any issues fitting one to a J-200? Apart from lockdown that is 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    CMW335 said:
    I need a pickup for a Vintage Gibson J-200 sounds like a K&K is the way to go. Anyone foresee any issues fitting one to a J-200? 
    Loss of value. I would not put any permanently installed pickup in that guitar, not even a K&K.

Soundhole pickup with a trailing lead or stick a mic in front of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    ICBM said:
    CMW335 said:
    I need a pickup for a Vintage Gibson J-200 sounds like a K&K is the way to go. Anyone foresee any issues fitting one to a J-200? 
    Loss of value. I would not put any permanently installed pickup in that guitar, not even a K&K.

Soundhole pickup with a trailing lead or stick a mic in front of it.
    I agree however the guitar has previously had a pickup  installed so not a big issue on this one
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    I've not used it but the Schatten HFN is often discussed as comparable and isn't a permanent installation.