NGD - tele

rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
edited March 2020 in Guitar
American original Custom 60s. 3TSB with double bound body. Won from Gardner Houlgate last week. First impressions out of the case favourable. Fretboard is a little dry and action on the top strings could come down. Slight buzz on the A but sounds massive - v resonant and aggressive compared to my strats. Brand new - plastic still on the scratch plate and neck pick up

4 way switch mod is likely and then we'll see about possible pick up change....

Gonna summon my inner Andy Summers

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683637881_3e50b02651_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683637931_d11e209132_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683932262_16b30ed623_k.jpg

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Oof, now that's a looker. My heart cried a bit when you said it's destined for a 4-way mod, but to each their own!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Tenebrous said:
    Oof, now that's a looker. My heart cried a bit when you said it's destined for a 4-way mod, but to each their own!
    Thanks dude. Re the 4 way.....Why’s that ? I tried Ash’s tele at the guitar show and loved it....
  • That is a lovely looking guitar,, a bit of envy from me too

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited March 2020
    rsvmark said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Thanks dude. Re the 4 way.....Why’s that ? I tried Ash’s tele at the guitar show and loved it....

Simply a miserable old purist who can't get with the times haha. Seriously though, a double bound tele custom is one of those holy grail guitars for me. Such an iconic look.

Stunning.
  • StuobStuob Frets: 35
    Lovely looking Tele.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 412
    Love double bound Tele's.  That's a corker!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Nice nothing quite like a tele - Enjoy :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    Congrats Mark - I've seen the prices achieved for most of those new, old stock models, sold at G&H and many went for prices lower than I expected, certainly the Custom Shop models - Some did not even sell - So some decent buys there
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited March 2020
    Love double bound Teles and that's a cracker, congrats. So, you up for an Andy Summers mod? You'll need a neck Seymour Duncan humbucker, a phase switch and a six piece brass bridge. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    That’s Luvvvvvvvverlllly. Congrats. Let us know if you go full Andy on the pickups. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Voxman said:
    Love double bound Teles and that's a cracker, congrats. So, you up for an Andy Summers mod? You'll need a neck Seymour Duncan humbucker, a phase switch and a six piece brass bridge. 
    ..and don't forget mallet and chisel.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2351
    Great I love the double bounds 

I’d love to hear you experiences of the Auction house and processes please. 
  • Looks fab, congratulations
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Voxman said:
    Not the mod, just playing like will do for the moment! The mod under consideration is a 4 way selector. Although that might come close to a humbucker in the neck.

Intonation is slightly off, considering a set of compensated saddles now. Any recommendations from the fb tele officionados?
    rze99 said:

@rze99 Actually pretty good. I rang up. Had a chat. Asked a few questions on the guitar- condition, source, neck profile, case etc. Liked what I heard. I bid via the auctioneer- you tell them your min and max price and they did the rest. I didn’t go to my max but it was slightly over what I hoped for....so someone else had their eye on it too.

after that it was plain sailing. Pay up plus 24%, arrange courier (used their preferred provide) and Roberts your mothers brother a week or so later. Overall, painless. 

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2351
    rsvmark said:
    Voxman said:
    Not the mod, just playing like will do for the moment! The mod under consideration is a 4 way selector. Although that might come close to a humbucker in the neck.

Intonation is slightly off, considering a set of compensated saddles now. Any recommendations from the fb tele officionados?
    rze99 said:

@rze99 Actually pretty good. I rang up. Had a chat. Asked a few questions on the guitar- condition, source, neck profile, case etc. Liked what I heard. I bid via the auctioneer- you tell them your min and max price and they did the rest. I didn’t go to my max but it was slightly over what I hoped for....so someone else had their eye on it too.

after that it was plain sailing. Pay up plus 24%, arrange courier (used their preferred provide) and Roberts your mothers brother a week or so later. Overall, painless. 

Thanks.  I have been wondering about it. Perfect quick summary. 
  • I had a Nocaster with a 4-way switch...it was never a sound I wanted, tbh...so it kind of got in the way of selecting the three classic sounds.

For compensated saddles, I recommend the Callaham ‘enhanced vintage’ (should be in stock at Guitar Experience or Charles Guitars. I don’t like slanted saddles as sometimes the string can slip off-centre and get snagged.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3835
    Can't go wrong there, beautiful guitar and totally classic. 4-way switch isn't worth it. Keep it classic.