Audio and video won't sync

Hi folks

I recorded some vocals and guitar live into Reaper, while I also fimed myself with my iPhone 11.

When I tried to put them together in iMovie (using the audio from Reaper with just the visuals of the film footage) it slowly went out of sync. Is this because they record in different formats or something?

How would I avoid this problem?

Thanks,

J

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    It's normally clock error .... generally with pto kit the audio and video share a clock and stay in sync .... you can often get away with 2 non clocked devices but you may notice some drift after 2 mins or so which will slowly increase over time until it's like a short delay. 
    I have found for some reason recording audio at 48K syncs with iphone video better 

If you have no luck split the video and nudge the regions as you go before you render to manually stay in sync
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    It can also be if one has bad audio, that’s what I found using final cut ... it maybe different but it’s the audio that gets synced
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Danny1969 said:
    It's normally clock error .... generally with pto kit the audio and video share a clock and stay in sync .... you can often get away with 2 non clocked devices but you may notice some drift after 2 mins or so which will slowly increase over time until it's like a short delay. 
    I have found for some reason recording audio at 48K syncs with iphone video better 

If you have no luck split the video and nudge the regions as you go before you render to manually stay in sync

Thanks, yes, the nudging kind of worked but it was a bit fiddly. How do I record audio at 48K in Reaper?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Click File, Project settings then move drop down box from 44.4 to 48000

Set this first before you begin recording 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    I had this problem before with cubase, luckily I was able to take the audio wav files and import them to the correct clock speed and it sorted it for me. good luck.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Great thanks, I'll try!