Best Practice - Recording guitar to backing tracks

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm using a Kemper connected to a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, going in to Reaper. I'd like to add guitars to a backing track, so what I've been doing is simply adding the backing as a single track, then adding a couple of recordable tracks in Reaper, panning left and right.

Are there any hints and tips, or general guidance on things in this situation to ensure I'm getting the best sound...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    What you're doing is fine.

Have a think about double tracking stuff and panning hard L/R. Add some other parts and pan across the stereo field to suit. Listen to some stuff you like the sound of and try and identify what's being done to the guitar parts. Try and replicate. Have a play with reverb/delay to pull stuff forward or push backwards in a mix. Use EQ to lift or lower the apparent height of parts in the 3d stereo field..

Stuff on here is really good if you wanna learn more from a guy who knows what he's doing;

https://www.mixingwithmike.com/

Above all experiment.

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
    Thanks!

Is it generally better to add reverb etc.via plugins instead of using the effects within the recording device (ie. the Kemper)?
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    FarleyUK said:
    Thanks!

Is it generally better to add reverb etc.via plugins instead of using the effects within the recording device (ie. the Kemper)?

It’s a matter of personal preference, I have recorded both ways.  The advantage of using plug-ins is that you can leave decisions about the reverb, delay etc until mixdown (in particular, how much).  The disadvantage – you have too much choice at mixdown which can lead to procrastination.   The other disadvantage, depending upon your set up, is that you may not be able to hear these effects whilst tracking which can impact on the performance.

Probably what you’re not short of during lock-down is time – so experiment and find out which method works for you, and when.

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    No probs.

Depends on what you're going for TBH, what you have VST wise and is a bit of a deep subject.

I would tend to run the Kemper FX for processing i.e. chorus, phasing, flanging etc. (if you're happy with the sound) and then add verb and delays in Reaper.

Look online for help on setting up FX busses in Reaper and have a play. Try four aux busses with a short/long delays and short/long reverbs.

I think Kenny Gioia has some some good content online for free on all stuff 'Reaper' so search for this to dig in deeper.

This should give you plenty of stuff to play with.

Si
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Try adding reverb the Left track but pan the reverb to the right and vice versa...can have an interesting sound.

I find good solid muted chords sound good hard panned L/R, then maybe another in the middle, try slightly different EQ  can help also for texture.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Whack appropriate high and low pass filters on your guitar tracks so they arent robbing headroom for other elements of the bass. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ