Anyone using an X32 Rack as a recording interface?

Hi,

I picked up an X32 Rack as space is limited in my home, and I like the idea of everything in a 3U space.  However, I have to admit, I'm having my doubts, as I'm not really understanding how to set it up and use it with my DAW (Reaper).

So, if anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.
my trading feedback HERE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3048
    I've got a Yamaha TF Rack rather than an X32 and I use Logic not Reaper, but I imagine the process will be similar.

Here's what I do:

1. Connect the mixer to my computer via USB
    2. Launch Logic
    3. Create a new project using the TF Rack as the input source, specifying however many channels I need. I also make sure the sample rate of the project matches the mixer (48kHz in my case)
    4. Arm the channels on which I want to record, then press "Record"
    I would imagine the X32 will be similar. You might have to install drivers, etc. if you're on Windows.

HTH,

R.
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    havent watched til end but might be useful 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6a1VvOQoVc
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    It's perfectly capable. Are you on Mac or PC?

If you're a Mac user, it's plug and play, MacOS will recognise it as an available audio interface. 

If you're a Windows user, you'll have to download the drivers from the Behringer website. 

There's a couple of pages on the console that affect settings for the USB interface functions. Main one I'd check is on the setup page, you'll want to check the sample rate of the X32. It can be 44.1 or 48. I'd suggest 48kHz for the slightly improved quality, and set Reaper to the same.  

The USB interface gives you up to 32 inputs to the computer, and 32 outputs back to the X32. By default, it'll be set to send the signal from the local preamps, with no processing applied, on the first 16 inputs, which is probably what you want. You can change this on the routing tab. 

You can monitor what's coming back from your PC via the X32, and could connect your studio monitors to the "monitor out" or just use the headphone output if you aren't using monitors. 

In Reaper, in your "Preferences" window where you select your audio interface, you'll need to pick "ASIO", and then a new drop down will appear with the "X-UF" or "X-USB" depending on which card is fitted in the X32. Once you've set that, you should have access to all the inputs and outputs in Reaper to use as you wish.