Budget interface and monitor setup advice required

Hi everyone,

I’m looking at buying an interface and a set of studio monitors so I can demo stuff out in my downtime as there will be no gigs or band rehearsal during this lockdown.

I’ll be looking at recording guitars, bass and programming drums.

Any recommendations would be great including software, plugins etc.

Computer wise I shall be using a Mac, will find out what operating system it is using to if that helps?

My budget is a max £250 all in.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danbandanban Frets: 343
    Previous to this I used to Use an Alesis IO2 interface and Alesis M520 speakers with Cubase LE years ago that I no longer have.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    How are you going tp record - mics ; modelling ; amp line out ;  direct into daw etc - as clearly interface and Mac will need to aligned to get get best input to daw of choice ..

I can recommend the Focusrite stuff - the 2i2 is a solid piece of kit for a budget setup - and even gen1  as the cheapest is fine qualitywise with mics directly in my experience .

reaper software has a prolonged trial period for free - and is very comprehensive ( comes with its own suite of plugins)   and configurable ..  - though need to confirm your macos version for compatibility .

Tonnes of free plugins online - https://blog.landr.com/best-free-vst-plugins/ as an example 

I presume you want powered monitors - currently using  KRK units and s/h they are good value imho .. size to room n budget .

Just hope to you can convince your local constabulary that these are essential purchases ... Keep well 

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Since you're on a mac. Garageband/Logic would be a good choice (Garageband is free and wont eat into your budget). Most interfaces are decent nowadays, just make sure it has the inputs (type and number) you need. Focusrite suggested above is a good shout. For 250, you won't get much and would best be looking for 2nd hand deals for the interface and monitors. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22201
    Budget interface: if buying new; Steinberg UR22 or Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 at around the £100. I've got one KA2 on my second laptop and it works very well. Selling my second KA2 for £60 in the studio classifieds right now if you're interested. 

Studio monitors: Presonus Eris 4.5 for £139. If these are too big in terms of speaker size, try the Eris 3.5 at £90. 

So if you go secondhand interface for £60, £90 for the Eris 3.5, that leaves £100 for software. Try Reaper, use Garageband, then demo loads of stuff. 

Perfect, thanks everyone for their input. I’m planning on plugging the guitar straight into an interface.
    JMP220478 said:
    How are you going tp record - mics ; modelling ; amp line out ;  direct into daw etc - as clearly interface and Mac will need to aligned to get get best input to daw of choice ..

I can recommend the Focusrite stuff - the 2i2 is a solid piece of kit for a budget setup - and even gen1  as the cheapest is fine qualitywise with mics directly in my experience .

reaper software has a prolonged trial period for free - and is very comprehensive ( comes with its own suite of plugins)   and configurable ..  - though need to confirm your macos version for compatibility .

Tonnes of free plugins online - https://blog.landr.com/best-free-vst-plugins/ as an example 

I presume you want powered monitors - currently using  KRK units and s/h they are good value imho .. size to room n budget .

Just hope to you can convince your local constabulary that these are essential purchases ... Keep well 

Hi, I shall be ordering online from home so no outside venturing will be required apart from going to work as I’m classed as a keyworker.