Finished Pics! SG-style in Yew

What's Hot

Comments

• MilkMilk Frets: 84
    il have to look at a tutorial on youtube, never done it. i presume this method is more effective than the paint
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Milk said:
    il have to look at a tutorial on youtube, never done it. i presume this method is more effective than the paint
    A lot of folks get on fine with paint - although I think it depends on the paint.  I just prefer copper foil because I know there is not going to be any doubt that it will work fine :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6685
    Deep want, even though I'm not an SG fan.... lovely instrument you've made there! Congratulations. 
    Thanks, folks!  

I get the pickups tomorrow so am hoping this is fully finished by the end of this week.
    Well - a small but important part:

It's the ebony truss rod cover I've just made.  Important because it is the last made item to need to be made! :)

And the strings have arrived.  And I picked up the pickups from Matt today.

So it's now just about assembly and setup.  And I have a pretty clear day tomorrow :)

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Just excellent all round - its been a pleasure watching this come together. 
    Any chance of some sound clips once the PUPs are in ? 
    PeteC said:
    Just excellent all round - its been a pleasure watching this come together. 
    Any chance of some sound clips once the PUPs are in ? 
    Thanks!

I'll try - my hands have pretty much had it for playing nowadays (the joys of arthritis) but I'll see what I can do.  Norma!ly, I could have invited a band member pop across to do a few clips but that's not possible at the moment.

Might be able to persuade Matt to record some stuff when I finally am able to get it to him ;)
    edited May 2020
    Forgive the dust on the headstock - I promise to give it a wipe-down before I do the fancy photos - but put a couple of magnets on the trussrod cover:

Which hold it secure and straight:

Underneath the tip there is a tiny bevel sanded so that removal is just fingernail stuff:

Pickups and electrics are in and the 'first fit' is being done today and tomorrow.

Two things already picked up to tweak:
     - now I've tried it with strings, the neck needs just a bit more shaving off the haunches

- the two pickups are out of phase in the middle position (although they sound great individually).  As they are single conductor jobbies, it's an internal swop rather than just swopping the hot and return that you can do with a two-wire setup so I'll get one of them back to Matt to do the surgery.

But it's close enough to do a gratuitous photo or two

If the light is good in the morning, I'll do the arty-farty photos before I take the neck pickup out again as it won't really change in outward appearance from this point on

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgive the dust on the headstock - I promise to give it a wipe-down before I do the fancy photos - but put a couple of magnets on the trussrod cover:

Which hold it secure and straight:

Underneath the tip there is a tiny bevel sanded so that removal is just fingernail stuff:

Pickups and electrics are in and the 'first fit' is being done today and tomorrow.

Two things already picked up to tweak:
     - now I've tried it with strings, the neck needs just a bit more shaving off the haunches

- the two pickups are out of phase in the middle position (although they sound great individually).  As they are single conductor jobbies, it's an internal swop rather than just swopping the hot and return that you can do with a two-wire setup so I'll get one of them back to Matt to do the surgery.

But it's close enough to do a gratuitous photo or two

If the light is good in the morning, I'll do the arty-farty photos before I take the neck pickup out again as it won't really change in outward appearance from this point on

F*** me that's lovely. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you do make a good SG Andy
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Stunning. Seriously impressed. 
    Thank you, folks :)  Always much appreciated.
    edited May 2020
    OK - forgive the self-indulgence

As mentioned above, I've got to slim the haunches of the neck a touch and also get the neck pickup back to Matt to swop the wires round, but externally, this is done   So here it is:

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Beautiful
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    It looks great, the figuring in the wood is fantastic and everything you've done with it complements that.  I also happen to love neck through SG's, as you can play the full neck and not worry how strong the neck joint is.   I'm sure the new owner will be very happy with it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    edited May 2020
    Awesome!
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    That is absolutely stunning! Dream guitar stuff  right there. I’ve loved this thread, thanks so much for all the posts and pics, it’s been great following this build.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    Gorgeous, simple as that. Well enjoyed following this thread  :)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That is outrageously good Andy!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Amazing work!!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    Amazing build, would love to try this.