Best examples of acoustic playing?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TedTed Frets: 126
    Dottore said:
    I've got into bluegrass and flat-picking styles recently and, while there are many obvious guitarists to reference, I came across this guy, Bob Minner, who has beautiful tone and touch. Here is his version of the Missouri Waltz, which I first got to know from the musical gathering scene in Winter's Bone.

Impressive - particularly if he was performing it faithfully from memory, without sight reading a sheet. His guitar looked like a Martin but did not appear to have the logo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Ted said:
    Dottore said:
    I've got into bluegrass and flat-picking styles recently and, while there are many obvious guitarists to reference, I came across this guy, Bob Minner, who has beautiful tone and touch. Here is his version of the Missouri Waltz, which I first got to know from the musical gathering scene in Winter's Bone.

Impressive - particularly if he was performing it faithfully from memory, without sight reading a sheet. His guitar looked like a Martin but did not appear to have the logo.
    Could be a Pre-War
  • vizviz Frets: 10695
    The AMAZING Gareth Pearson!

https://youtu.be/9rCNQNDBAvY
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    From the British folk scene, check out Nic Jones, Martin Carthy, John Renbourn, Martin Simpson and more recently Sam Carter, Jim Moray and Alasdair Roberts.

If it's jaw-dropping virtuosity you're after: https://davidyoungs.net/

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    Stuckfast said:
    From the British folk scene, check out Nic Jones, Martin Carthy, John Renbourn, Martin Simpson and more recently Sam Carter, Jim Moray and Alasdair Roberts.

Davey Graham, Bert Jansch as well.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Sadly he passed away many years ago but Eric Roche remains one of the few acoustic guitar players who played real music on a guitar.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Anything by davey graham he was the man on acoustic imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Some random bloke on YouTube..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    viz said:
    The AMAZING Gareth Pearson!

https://youtu.be/9rCNQNDBAvY
    Brilliant!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:
    Some random bloke on YouTube..

Enjoyed that, a classic tune from a great album. Ride songs are amongst the handful of songs I’ve sung and played in public, I’m going to learn this one now 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Ted said:
    Dottore said:

Hiroshi Suda Style 18.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    One for the fingers:

And one with a pick:

• This thread reminded me that I used to love listening to Michael Chapmans playing on his song Kodak Ghosts.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Surely Clapton Unplugged deserves a mention. 

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Surely Clapton Unplugged deserves a mention. 

I may be in an unpopular minority here but I think that's absolute shite.

That's not great acoustic playing. It's mediocre electric playing on an acoustic guitar. He can't even fret the bloody notes cleanly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom