Playing/practicing at home now during "curfew" problem

What's Hot
Normally 3 weeks of staying in would mean lots of playing. but , at this may sound a bit weird, I never play guitar when's my wife at home.
In 28 years she's never shown any interest in my guitar playing, that's normally fine with me, so I've never played when she's around.

Now I feel nervous at the thought of playing with her at home, more so than any audience I've ever played in front of, kids fine, but wife no. So not playing and it's pissing me off. 

Yes it's some psychological issue that's all down to me, but wonder if anyone else feels like this and maybe has a similar phobia? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 955
    I hate playing in front of anyone, even when I'm really pleased with what I'm doing. Strange as I'm a complete extrovert in all other walks of life.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    Write her a song or learn a song specially for her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I can't get my amp cranked through the day like usual because my neighbours aren't going out!  :p
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Headphones?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    edited March 2020
    Headphones?

This, and playing unplugged with the door shut
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7152
    I’m totally relaxed and comfortable with playing in front of an audience.  

I hate practicing with anyone around.

Headphones are the best option.  Kenny’s Music are virtually giving away Sessioncake headphone amp/mixers.

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-sessioncake-sc-01-mixing-headphone-amp-for-guitar-bass
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    It's times like this where I feel very lucky. I live out in the countryside in a house with two foot thick stone walls. I do have a limited number of neighbours, but I can practice at reasonable volume without disturbing anyone. On top of that, I've nice views, and a good sized garden that needs plenty of work doing to it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    It's times like this where I feel very lucky. I live out in the countryside in a house with two foot thick stone walls. I do have a limited number of neighbours, but I can practice at reasonable volume without disturbing anyone. On top of that, I've nice views, and a good sized garden that needs plenty of work doing to it.
    Same.
    I've never really minded people hearing me though.
    Being a massive show off probably helps here.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    The constant washing is playing havoc with my hands. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I use a Pandora box with headphones. Has aux input so you can mix iPod, CD player etc to practise along with.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9913
    prowla said:
    The constant washing is playing havoc with my hands. 
    But your clean tone has improved immeasurably
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Normally 3 weeks of staying in would mean lots of playing. but , at this may sound a bit weird, I never play guitar when's my wife at home.
    In 28 years she's never shown any interest in my guitar playing, that's normally fine with me, so I've never played when she's around.

Now I feel nervous at the thought of playing with her at home, more so than any audience I've ever played in front of, kids fine, but wife no. So not playing and it's pissing me off. 

Yes it's some psychological issue that's all down to me, but wonder if anyone else feels like this and maybe has a similar phobia? 

Exactly the same. I have to close the door in a different room to practice when the OH is around.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10348

I'm the same. I don't mind playing in front of my wife, but only when I've got what I'm playing down to almost as good as I'm going to get it, if that makes sense. No one wants to hear someone playing the same thing over and over again so it makes sense to spare her from that.

There's also the fact that I'm not very good. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3069
    I don't play in front of the wife. Not that I'm nervous of it, she's been to my gigs. I would just rather be in the spare room away from her in my own little world. A world in which I don't have to take out the rubbish bins or make her a cup of tea 
  • Cols said:

Headphones are the best option.  Kenny’s Music are virtually giving away Sessioncake headphone amp/mixers.

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/yamaha-sessioncake-sc-01-mixing-headphone-amp-for-guitar-bass

That's an amazing discount!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I used to live in the country. It was great. I plugged my stereo into a Valvestate that I turned up to play along with guitar plugged into a Laney at gig volumes.

If I'd have a few to drink I'd have continued playing I to the wee hours. Thankfully our neighbours lived half mile away.

Nowadays I practise via USB thing into my PC and use headphones.
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Cols said:

That's an amazing discount!
    They do want £6.70 for delivery, so nearer £17 in reality - still a good price though.
  • I think this is similar to most people, even professionals. This is why recording sessions or writing sessions, or rehearsals don't take place in front of audiences, why sound checks don't either, that sort of thing. You want to be happy you've got something down before someone gets to hear it.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I'd rather not play with my missus around either. According to her, it's 'too loud'. I don't complain about the noise when she's hoovering the floor though...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom