Advice on Strat Trem sizes

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
edited March 2020 in Making & Modding
So this will seem like dumb ass questions but I do know where i’ve gone wrong - would just like to know if what I need is available!

so, bought a cracking Strat from RevMatt. As Matt has said, the hardware isn’t up to the standard of the neck and body so that was my starting point! 

I have several Strat trems and several steel blocks but can’t seem to get the compatibility I seek!!!!

Photo 1 
https://i.imgur.com/O94ElSK.jpg

Photo 2
https://i.imgur.com/ksgite6.jpg

In photo 1 you can see that the steel block fits the baseplate but the hole for the arm doesn’t line up! I need that plate dimensions for the screw holes to attach to the body to line up. 

In photo 2 you can see another trem on the left - screw holes to body don’t line up and also the steel block that’s attached to the left hand one doesn’t fit the right hand one. 

I’m guessing it’s a metric/imperial or vintage/modern mismatch but it seems like nothing fits anything else! 

Is is it possible to get a gold trem plate that will take the steel block on the left of photo 2 but where the screwholes for body and the hole for the arm lines up????

Lockdowns a bitch! (no misogyny intended! 

Thanks all!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    Some if the mismatch could be Metric versus Imperial dimensions. Some could be “vintage” wide versus “modern” narrow. Some is just wilful variation to get around patent law. Usually, the position of the arm hole and its angle of entry into the block.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    There are a huge number of variations from different countries and manufacturers.

It's slightly easier if you first realise that *almost* always, the pivot screw spacing (the six holes along the front edge) matches the string hole spacing... **almost** always. There are a very few exceptions, so check that first. Then, take these measurements:

1. The spacing between the top E and bottom E string hole centres.

2. The spacing of the string hole centre line to the block screw centre line. (The three block screws are always centred between the pairs of string holes laterally, so you don't need to check that separately.)

3. The distance from the top E string hole centre to the arm hole centre, parallel to the string hole line.

4. The offset from the string hole centre line to the arm hole centre.

5. (Occasionally important) the diameter of the arm hole.

Given all these measurements, you can choose a plate or block - or have a block made - that will fit. If you're measuring yours, it can be easier to use strips of masking tape to mark the hole centre lines before measuring. You need to be accurate to 0.5mm at the outside, preferably a bit better.

If you can post all these measurements, someone here may have one, or we might be able to advise you as to which standard one will fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    These guys have 3 different standard models of trem blocks.  One might be what you need:
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Thank you guys - that has definitely helped me understand! The guitarfetish link showed the3 sizes I have been grappling with! 

Onwards and upwards! 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Glad it helped
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    If you are really stuck, Wilkinson Strat trems come with a steel block and pressed saddles, fit most Strats and they are pretty cheap too....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom