Easiest way to remove finish

What's Hot
Another bass guitar has been on to do list for the last year to get sorted / sold 

As you can see from the pictures the finish has flaked off in places but has left quite a nice pattern underneath. 

The plan was to strip and either respray or an oil finish.  

Would a heat gun be the best / easiest option to remove the finish ? 

Also a concern is desoldering the wiring as it has been retrofitted with blue simms LEDs .  

https://imgur.com/a/67lCP3B
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Firstly, cool looking bass.

Personally, I would remove all hardware / screws etc to leave yourself a flat surface (admittedly I don't know what the reverse looks like; is there a battery compartment?)

Then I would just use a scraper - it looks like its chipping away in largish pieces anyway? Hopefully this will leave the blue intact, if thats what you're after. Here's an embedded pic for you :)

www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 70
    If it's a poly finish (which I suspect it is from the picture) a heat gun to soften the coating will work well - obviously be careful around heat-sensitive components. If you do it right the poly comes away in big pieces with only gentle application of a scraper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    The idea with a heat gun is to go on the lowest heat setting and don't get too close, if the paint is melting you're far too close, you just want to warm it and get a blunt scraper underneath. 
  • Thanks,  just stripped all the hardware.  Will  have a go with heat gun and update how I get on.  
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited March 2020
     Followed the advice of using a heatgun on a low setting and just followed it around with a scraper  ,  an hour later and its all off  but now to decide what to do  .

I think it looks pretty cool with the swirly glue finish ( its more green than the pictures shows ) but would need to be sealed but too sure how  .
    https://imgur.com/d3uvHkR
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've had a shocker today. Previous experience of stripping a finish was an absolute pleasure, stripping the poly finish off my Stratocaster it just lifted off beautifully.

Today, the Telecaster. Less fun. 

Starting with the back. Stripped the top layer of paint off and was left with the primer. Got that off with some more difficulty and was greeted with some substantial cracks, both in the back and the front in the cavities. Not on the same line. 

Looking at a new body now. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    I've got a Fender Precision which needs stripping. It plays well and seems stable, but I am a bit worried that if I go looking under rocks I may find something I don't like there.

I'm also in the process of stripping an old Vox Clubman bass, but it's a case of elbow grease; I tried using paint stripper, but it just turned it into mush which spread back over the body.

The worst one I have is a Tokai Strat, which the previous owner decided to strip and varnish, but made a bit of a mess of, so I think that may need some filler before I re-finish it; it might be going to be black rather than the original cream there. Plus the wood underneath wasn't so nice, so it is best painted over.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I might have to go to paint stripper instead to get the rest off. I don't think I can risk any more heat exposure. 
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited March 2020

I added a few coats of trul oil  , cut back  and polished  ,  came up quite nice but will not be to everyones taste.. Not too sure how hard wearing the finish will be though was advised to clear coat but done have the skills  ..  

• Will be interesting to see how it looks when the whole thing comes together.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Just finished putting the bass back together after having issues with the LED wiring ..  Will not be to everyones taste but I think it looks pretty cool  .  May try and source a clear pickguard to finish it   ..Thanks again to all for the advice.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1800
    I think that looks ace! Nice one
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    I think it looks great as it is, I wouldn't bother with the pickguard.  Possibly change the screws for some studs or rivits
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    Nice, I'd go for a black gaurd personally.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    That looks really cool. It kinda reminds me of an octopus for some reason
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I managed to strip a 1978 Fender Musicmaster with a couple bottles of £1 Superdrug nail polish remover and a microfiber cloth..... 
    What paint would Fender have used?