Sanding sealer types - Which one ?

Hi Folks 

would Liberon spirit based sanding sealer be OK to use after pore filling and staining my DC junior build - before spraying tinted nitro ? 

Seems there are various types of sanding sealer ( which was all new to me !...) 

I'm going for a Cherry finish. 

cheers
Pete 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    I wouldn't recommend it.

I have used it in the past and the adhesion of nitrocellulose to it is poor. It made for a good relic job though!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    I've not used Liberon, but currently using Bolgers cellulose sealer, applied with brush and the 2 projects done with it so far have been excellent 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    thanks guys, very helpful.  
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    Do you even need a sanding sealer? I spray a lot of AC lacquer and PU now and most are coat on coat, meaning no need for a sealer you just use the lacquer and nothing else
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

For nitro you can get away without and mostly I don't use it, instead where poss I do a thinned nitro coat as a sealer. Then grainfill, then coat/sand/repeat. Which is much easier with a spray gun where you have more control over mix & coating.

But nitro sinks/shrinks back a lot is the thing. With cans and nitro schemes a sanding sealer helps shorten the coat/sand cycle and should save a bit of cans cost.