Anyone come across this mic issue? Sounds like wind interference, but I'm inside! Rhode NT1

What's Hot
Hi guys, I'm using a Rhode NT1 mic at home, and noticed the below sound off it when I plugged it in.  I checked mic lead, channel etc, and as you can hear, it sounds like wind blowing in the mic, if I were outside. I've never come across this before, and I've never had one of these mics before, so nothing to compate it with. I thought it was the lead, but tried another mic, and didn't get it. Anyone?

https://soundcloud.com/locktheminburnthemout/mic-issue
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Is there wind? air con, fan etc? judging from the tone of your voice, u have the gain set really high. You'll want to back that off a fair bit as condensers are very sensitive and will pick up a lot of background noise if you set the gain too high. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    @Branshen no, it's in an upstairs attic, no interference at all, windows closed etc. Happens on "idle". It sounds like a dodgy mic lead, that's the only thing I can think of, but the mic leads are hardly used and in storage nearly all the time.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    There's an intermittent monotonal hum characteristic of cellular network interference. Do you have your phone nearby?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10430
    edited March 2020
    That sounds like handling noise on the cable ..... as a cable ages it becomes microphonic as movement in the conductors make tiny  currents which are when amplified ..... these aren't rejected by the CMR of the balanced input as they aren't uniform across both conductors 
    Is it a cheap mic lead or old mic lead ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    It’s a generic lead , can’t recall brand , possibly plant waves but could be wrong. @Tex Mexico I did have phone nearby on top of the guitar cab, so will try again later and see what happens.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I'd say it was a dodgy earth connection. I had a similar problem arise on an MXL 603 and ended up finding a bad solder joint connected to ground. After resoldering the joint, the "windy day" noise went away.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    It could be condensation on the capsule. Try leaving the mic in the airing cupboard for a day.
  • Sounds phantom power not managing to fully connect to the mic to me. How are you getting your phantom power?

Bye!

It seems to be intermittent now, so still have to get to the bottom of it. @WiresDreamDisasters from the audio interface,
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
    Have you got an alternative lead that you can try?  It does sound to me like lead handling noise / a poor connection.  I've found that some of the budget connectors can becove very 'loose' over time.  That's why I always make up my own using Neutrik connectors (cheaper in the long run).
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    edited April 2020
    Do you have mic pre gain totally maxed? This can happen with low output sources at the end of the preamps range.
    edited April 2020
    I tried two leads and the same problem. It could be the inputs on the audio interface as well. I tried both. Hard to know for now .