NSTD x New StraTele day

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
edited March 2020 in Guitar
This one has been on the cards for a few weeks and over those few weeks while the body was away being painted, the plans changed a little and parts were sourced.
Ive wanted a Hardtail Strat for ages and ummed and aahed about MIM Robert Cray model, but the premium charged by Fender over the price of a more standard MIM Strat always stopped me, Sods Law, there are very few used ones about and the colours are a bit pants too.....
So I decided to make my own, not a no expense spared, but with quality parts that I wouldn’t end up changing down the road...
The body came from Guitarbuild and is one piece of select Swamp Ash, routed for a Tele neck (just to be a bit different) which got delivered straight to @lamf68 to be painted Mary Kay White Blonde and what a superb job he did!
TheTele neck came from The Stratosphere in the US, solid Rosewood, which, if I could afford it I would have on all my guitars...
Tuners are Steinberger gearless and as above if I could afford it they would also go on all my guitars
Gold hardware gives a bit of luxury
Electrics are all quality parts CTS etc, second tone wired to the bridge pickup
Pickups are Fender Vintage 65’s
This ones a keeper, my first partcaster I have been happy with straight away
Anyroadup, photos....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    New STD....?

Just kidding. She's a beaut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Look amazing!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • Wow, that neck looks great; so dark it looks more like ebony than rosewood! Interesting choice of tuner too!

Happy NGD!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    New STD....?

Just kidding. She's a beaut.
    I noticed as I was typing and had a smile....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    paulnb57 said:
    This one has been on the cards for a few weeks and over those few weeks while the body was away being painted, the plans changed a little and parts were sourced.
    Ive wanted a Hardtail Strat for ages and ummed and aahed about MIM Robert Cray model, but the premium charged by Fender over the price of a more standard MIM Strat always stopped me, Sods Law, there are very few used ones about and the colours are a bit pants too.....
    Ooh. Suits you sir, suits you. One of the nicest partscasters I've seen here.  Fine work.

I'm surprised hardtail strats seem so thin on the ground.

Did you get the pickguard from GB as well?

What model bridge did you go for?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    edited March 2020
    paulnb57 said:
    Ooh. Suits you sir, suits you. One of the nicest partscasters I've seen here.  Fine work.

I'm surprised hardtail strats seem so thin on the ground.

Did you get the pickguard from GB as well?

What model bridge did you go for?
    Scratchplate came from ebay, bridge is Kluson and took a while to find one in gold with the right footprint....if you buy the body from Guitarbuild they recommend the Fender part number for the bridge, but it is Chrome, so it took a bit of searching to find one. With the exception of the tuners and strap locks its all Kluson....
    Heres a link to the bridge....they are available this side of the pond...

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-replacement-hardtail-bridge-for-vintage-fender-stratocaster-details.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Love it I had the steinberger tuners and like you would have them on every guitar if I could, amazing, 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    paulnb57 said:

Scratchplate came from ebay, bridge is Kluson and took a while to find one in gold with the right footprint....if you buy the body from Guitarbuild they recommend the Fender part number for the bridge, but it is Chrome, so it took a bit of searching to find one. With the exception of the tuners and strap locks its all Kluson....
    Heres a link to the bridge....they are available this side of the pond...

https://www.kluson.com/kluson-replacement-hardtail-bridge-for-vintage-fender-stratocaster-details.htm

Cheers for the info Paul.

I was planning on making a hardtail Strat at some point this year and I'll bookmark this thread for the great info.