Using my Bluesbreaker as a cab...

Hi everyone, 

I was just lucky to purchase a secondhand JTM1 in what was a very swift and pleasant transaction - thanks @prismrock2003. ;

It's barely a modding question, but I assumed it would fit nonetheless. I have a 2061cx that I run my SV20H through, which I love and use most all the time. The JTM sounds great through that cab, but I have a less used 1962RI bluesbreaker which has become more of a furniture piece in the living room - thankfully the missus loves the look of it. 

I was wondering:

Is it possible to run the new JTM1 through the Bluesbreaker speakers? Do I buy some kind of female-female 1/4 adaptor and connect it all up? My slightly wiser side says ask people who know better first, as there is probably something I'm unaware of that will screw both amps up in the process. 

NOTE: I will ensure the Bluesbreaker is not used when the speakers are disconnected - THAT MUCH I AM SURE OF.

I've attached a photo just to show off :)

Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone is well given the current situation. 

Ryan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 405
    Just use the correct speaker output to match the load of the Bluesbreaker speakers, ie. 8 ohms.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    Yes, you can easily do it, but you will need to extend the speaker cable. Either you can replace the whole cable from the speakers with one that's long enough to reach the head, or you can use an extension cable.

Don't use a typical female-to-female jack adaptor, they're poor quality and not reliable enough to handle speaker connections, even at the tiny power level from a JTM1 - if it fails, you may blow the output transformer.

The only female 1/4" socket that can be trusted is the Neutrik locking one - which looks like this:

Cables with these are usually available online, although I can't find a link to one at the moment...

Although in fact, while I wouldn't normally recommend using a guitar cable as a speaker cable, at the power output of the JTM1 one of these would actually be fine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/281837527938

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 427
    Amazing! I'm glad this one was an easy fix. Will be interesting to hear the amp through two different sets of Marshall matched speakers.

Thanks again guys, best!