Strat bridge tone help needed

What's Hot
Hey up.
Standard sss setup but I want the bridge to have its own pot (bottom) while neck and middle share the top tone pot.
Now I've tried switching lugs on the switch but no joy, I've searched all over for a diagram, again no joy. 
I've seen people mention it but no mention as to how they wired it. 

Could any of you fine twiddlers point me in the direction of a diagram please? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    If you look at the switch you should see one unused terminal, and the next one has a wire that goes to the bottom tone pot. Move the wire to the unused terminal, and connect the terminal it came from to the one with the wire that goes to the top tone pot (which should be the end one on the switch).

Be aware that this will produce a slightly duller sound in the bridge+middle position, and a slightly brighter one in the neck+middle position, than a stock Strat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    ICBM said:
    If you look at the switch you should see one unused terminal, and the next one has a wire that goes to the bottom tone pot. Move the wire to the unused terminal, and connect the terminal it came from to the one with the wire that goes to the top tone pot (which should be the end one on the switch).

Be aware that this will produce a slightly duller sound in the bridge+middle position, and a slightly brighter one in the neck+middle position, than a stock Strat.
    Thanks. 
    That's what I did, but I'm now thinking maybe it didn't work because, as the guitar isn't assembled and I'm just prewiring the plate, that I didn't have the 2nd tone pot earthed? (I'm plugged into the amp and tapping the poles) 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited March 2020
    Standard 5-way? You can have one tone control for bridge and also bridge + middle together - the switch itself doesn't allow for specific discrete selections, so you can't have it wired for the bridge selection without it also working in the bridge + middle selection. If you must have specific discrete selections you need a superswitch - sorry!

Assuming bridge; bridge +middle is acceptable there are then several options for your second tone control, typically neck; neck + middle; middle; middle + bridge (the latter overlapping with the first tone control).

Alternatively the second tone control could cover neck; neck + middle (no tone control in the middle selection alone).

I don't have a diagram to hand, but if I cant't find one shortly, I'll draw one out for you.

EDIT: I see @ICBM has replied whilst I was typing. If you're still stuck, let me know and I'll draw something.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2020
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pN5TW4J9bsXY4ZqR9

I'm confused, i just tried this fralin diagram which should have seen me right, but still no dice.

@CasperCaster I'd appreciate that, thanks 
    And yes, a standard grigsby type 5 way
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    assuming you have standard strat wiring, just add the wire in red on this diagram

https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/stratocaster-wiring-diagram

it is the only connection you need to change.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    or if you want it in video format 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=884-MdsDIHg&t=83s

assuming you have standard strat wiring, just add the wire in red on this diagram

https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/stratocaster-wiring-diagram

it is the only connection you need to change.
    Thanks but that's for bridge/middle tone control. 
    I was hoping to get just bridge tone on the bottom pot and neck/middle on the top pot
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:

I'm confused, i just tried this fralin diagram which should have seen me right, but still no dice.

did you get any sound from this diagram? It looks correct but they haven't connected both sides of the switch together

Sarge said:

did you get any sound from this diagram? It looks correct but they haven't connected both sides of the switch together
    Yeah I did, just no tone for bridge at all. 
    It does state in the pic that no jumpers are depicted, why I have no idea 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:

I think that's the orange wire? It looks good to me.
    Sarge said:

That's what I did, but I'm now thinking maybe it didn't work because, as the guitar isn't assembled and I'm just prewiring the plate, that I didn't have the 2nd tone pot earthed? (I'm plugged into the amp and tapping the poles) 
    That would stop the tone controls working. Connect the top tone pot casing to the volume pot casing with a wire anyway, don't rely on contact via the shielding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sarge said:

I think that's the orange wire? It looks good to me.
    Damnit I didn't see the orange wire :D 
    Sigh....lets go again 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right, in this fralin diagram, it doesn't show earth from vol-tone1-tone2, that would just be assumed, right? 
    ICBM said:
    Sarge said:

That would stop the tone controls working. Connect the top tone pot casing to the volume pot casing with a wire anyway, don't rely on contact via the shielding.
    Yes I had that set already, I meant the earth to trem claw wasn't connected to anything. 
    Sarge said:
    Right, in this fralin diagram, it doesn't show earth from vol-tone1-tone2, that would just be assumed, right? 
    Yes. Normally it's done by the pots contacting the shielding, but in practice this can be unreliable. You don't actually need to connect the lower tone pot casing though, because the cap for both tone controls goes to the top tone pot.

Ok thanks.
    I'm convinced that diagram is wrong, I've done it three times now and my wiring is definitely identical. 
    I know all pots are fine, they're new and work in standard sss and with the bridge/middle mod. 

The diagram is definitely correct. The only thing that's non-standard is that it shows two tone caps, whereas normally it's done by using only the orange one, and instead of the pink cap, that terminal is connected to the same one on the top pot. Just connect the pot casing of the top tone pot to the casing of the volume pot and it will work.

ICBM said:
    The diagram is definitely correct. The only thing that's non-standard is that it shows two tone caps, whereas normally it's done by using only the orange one, and instead of the pink cap, that terminal is connected to the same one on the top pot. Just connect the pot casing of the top tone pot to the casing of the volume pot and it will work.
    Nope, it doesn't work. 
    With or without the pink cap. 
    Best I get is top tone control of bridge/middle in position 2.
    There is no tone at all in position 1.
    I've been doing this all fucking evening :D 
    Im going back to vintage, fuckit. 

Thanks for your help