NGD - Squier Bullet Mustang - Modded

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    I've been inspired by this and just ordered the red one from GV, I don't think I'll be able to pull it off quite as well as you did Wez but I'll give it a go! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16715
    good man.   i nearly got another in the GV sale :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    If possible mine will be getting a matching headstock, plus I’d like to get a Squier Duo-Sonic III decal made as well. I’ll likely go for the Toronado bridge like yours, but have some other ideas to play with first.

Expect some q’s on your making & modding post!  B)
    If possible mine will be getting a matching headstock, plus I’d like to get a Squier Duo-Sonic III decal made as well. I’ll likely go for the Toronado bridge like yours, but have some other ideas to play with first.

Expect some q’s on your making & modding post!  B)
    Cool cool.

Many use the toronado bridge and drill for 3 telecaster saddles, using the existing holes for strings.    Possibly an easier mod than through body stringing with less risk of blowing the clear coat off  like happened on mine
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    It looks great -the colour's really original.

Could I ask(don't reply if you don't want to) how much the guitar and project cost from start to finish?
    Ted said:
    It looks great -the colour's really original.

Could I ask(don't reply if you don't want to) how much the guitar and project cost from start to finish?
    I don't mind.

Guitar was £140 in this colour, the other colours can be picked up cheaper

Bridge was £27 delivered

I got 2 guards in the end.  One was £7 from china, and was delayed so i picked up a £15 one from a UK seller

New switches were £15,

PIckups were the big cost, currenyl at £120 from mojo... but i have had these a couple of years and think they were under £100 when i got them

So just over £300 all in to recreate now (pretty close to the price of a classic vibe mustang), but well under £200 actual spend for me at this time.

In terms of bang for buck the set up work on the neck added the most to this guitar.  Personally i think the bridge mod was important too.  the rest is perfectly serviceable, and the law of diminishing returns comes into play.   The pickups are a big cost compared to the value of the guitar.  They do make it sound great, but it really wasn't bad before

i also have new tuners on order, but only because I want white buttons ;)
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Thanks.  That's really interesting, it sounds like you made a nice bargain with yourself to produce a unique instrument.

I guess my problem with a similar project,is I would have to hire a professional electrician to do the work you describe which I think would cost about £300?

Ivory white buttons sound nice, I've black and gold coloured tuners, which is an interesting colour combination.
    yeah, i think it would be questionable if you are paying someone to do the mods.   Thats gonna push it to the fender range price point.

the good news is fender seems to have loads of mustang and duo-sonic style models about at the moment covering a lot of low to mid range price points.   I would put this one up against any of them though ;)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    It looks very cool Wez.  My first "good" electric was a 1972 Musicmaster, that I got new when touring Germany, so I have a soft spot for the small body offsets.  I have a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Duo Sonic that I keep in Nashville high tuning for fun.