Schaller M6 repairs/mods?

guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
edited March 2020 in Guitar
So I have a lovely set of schaller-made PRS Phase 1 tuners in chrome, and another set of M6 tuners in gold. I’d like to swap the bodies on both, but can only remove the string posts on the Phase 1s. Does anyone have a good way to disassemble the M6s so I can do the swap please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
    @ICBM or @WezV perhaps?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    edited March 2020
    They're a massive pain to get apart - the difficulty is getting the back cover out without damaging it, it's a press fit into the casing.

It depends what other spare parts you have...

You can sacrifice the cover by drilling a small hole into it, put a self-tapping screw into it and pull the cover out. This will usually chew up the cover to the point you can't re-use it - even if you don't mind a hole.

Or if you're willing to sacrifice the pinion gear, take the key off, turn the shaft so it threads as far as possible past the pinion, then force it through the rest of the way - this will almost always damage the pinion. Then you can pop the cover out from the inside with a small Allen key or similar. Replace the pinion when you reassemble it.

This is why I keep a large box of broken tuners, but that's not likely to be available to you unless you've been repairing this sort of thing for decades.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
    Thanks, that’s what I was wary of! I have the complete set of internals from the Phase 1s that should fit as the housing is identical. I got the gold set quite cheaply, but I’m reluctant to ruin a perfectly working set of tuners for cosmetic reasons
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Thanks, that’s what I was wary of! I have the complete set of internals from the Phase 1s that should fit as the housing is identical. I got the gold set quite cheaply, but I’m reluctant to ruin a perfectly working set of tuners for cosmetic reasons
    I wouldn't even think about it to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein