Is string gauge important? Check out this vid

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
Came across this by accident.  There are quite a lot of folk that are of the view you should play the thickest gauge strings you can handle on the basis that thicker gauge means better tone.  I use 009-042's but always wondered whether they were right or not.  This vid is very interesting and its well worth listening to the discussions, the view of the sound engineer, and then the 'summary' comparisons from 14:30 and the differences you can hear as to which gauge punches through the mix better is really noticeable. Will I be rethinking my string gauge? Have a listen!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    edited March 2020
    String gauge matters massively if you use a trem and tbh I’m not convinced in the video at all, just eq it if you want it to sit differently in the mix 
    Lighter strings compress when you dig in whereas you have a greater dynamic range within the actual string with a heavier gauge 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited March 2020
    sweepy said:
    String gauge matters massively if you use a trem

If the trem is set up correctly and with appropriate number of springs, and you've locked the strings on the tuners to avoid slippage, why would string gauge matter 'massively'?

and tbh I’m not convinced in the video at all, just eq it if you want it to sit differently in the mix 

In the studio, sure - but a lot harder to do live unless you have a very good external EQ 

you have a greater dynamic range within the actual string with a heavier gauge 

I disagree - you might have a
    different dynamic range with more bass, but you'll also have less top end especially on the bass strings.  What's 'better' purely depends on what you're trying to achieve tonally but for most players and most styles they'll likely want a punchier, tighter tone that's more controllable and better in a live mix. 

Lighter strings compress when you dig in  

Surely you've got that backwards because its heavier gauge strings that 'compress' more with a smoother attack? (At least that's what my ears hear and various string articles seem to support)

It seems to me that if you have very strong hands that could over-bend strings and/or use a lot of drop tunings, then having a heavier gauge makes sense.  Or perhaps if you want more bass eg if you play rockabilly on a fat  bodied semiacoustic, but otherwise I can't see the point of going for a thicker gauge string that just makes you have to work harder. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    It’s easier to “over pick” a lighter string and they start to self oscillate and generate overtones in the similar way you get when they are too close to the pickup magnets. Heavier strings don't do this and that’s why they have a greater dynamic range over a wide range of guitars and string types 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I really dislike Beato's videos so I avoid watching them but obviously the concept has been discussed plenty elsewhere as well.

For me the feel is much more important than any sound difference could be when we know that the sound differences are going to be subtle anyway. It's not like anyone can hear a record and know what gauge strings were used on it.

I couldn't be putting up with the strings going out of tune by being too light or them being too heavy that it makes it more difficult to play.

That's how I made my choice of size 10s - thinner strings feel too flimsy so 10s are the lightest that I don't find I bend without wanting to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    ^^^ What this guy said.

When I used to play for hours a day I used to use 11s. Now I play a lot less I play 10-46 so that I have just enough but not too much tension. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650

I'm with @soma1975 and @thegummy ;
    Don't worry too much about it, you'll know very quickly whether 11s or 8s are for you! And if Allan Holdsworth can play 8s, and SRV could play whatever bass strings he was using, strings are just one part of the overall tone pie!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 492
    I use lighter gauge strings as I can play for longer on them without getting tired..
    It seems heavier strings,firmer for picking and better for the picking hand.
    I can pick faster on heavier strings..Especially the low E..
    Lighter strings,easier for the fretting hand and elbow,also for bending..

If you have to learn a lot of songs and do a lot of repetition,lighter is a good option..
    It means you can do more work..
    Lighter strings are obviously good for Legato too..

I find 10s don't have the advantages of 11s tonally and don't have the advantages of 9s playing wise..
    I kind of like 9s or 11s..I use 12s for acoustic..
    You do have to play on different guitars to keep some type of consistency with string bending though..

I use hybrid heavy bottom 9 to 48 on 25.5 scale Fenders,
    I use 9 to 42 on 24.75 scale Gibsons,
    The way I set the guitars up,the tension feels close enough..
    I find that the wound strings on 9 to 42 on Fenders fell floppy/flappy unless you have a high action..
    The 9 to 48 enables firmer feel and a lower action..
    You can adjust the tension to taste with the stop bar on a Gibson,mine still never touches the back edge of the tunomatic.

So Gauge is important for me..I think 9s can sound good..

Page,Blackmore,Iommi and Clapton all got a good sound out of light strings..
    so did so many other classic players..
    I own the records,but I'm not that excited by Stevie Ray Vaughan's Tone..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    I saw this video last week and should have posted the link on the string gauge thread. I like the idea behind it and Rhett Schull did a follow up (although I cannot find it). Not sure I completely agree with it because it does not account for feel.but I think the point is that on well setup kit (let’s be honest these guys don’t play rubbish) string garage has less of an effect than you think it does. So play what you feel.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    sweepy said:
    It’s easier to “over pick” a lighter string and they start to self oscillate and generate overtones in the similar way you get when they are too close to the pickup magnets. Heavier strings don't do this and that’s why they have a greater dynamic range over a wide range of guitars and string types 
    After going to 10s from 11s I can wholeheartedly agree - the tone might not be much different but the tightness and the, I suppose you'd call it 'headroom'  is greater the thicker the strings you use. Thinner strings top out quicker and start sounding compressed and less distinct sooner. Mostly a rhythm guitar problem though. I doubt you'd notice on a strat or tele, as their pickups start to top out in their dynamic range (in terms of volume) which is a signature part of their tone. A PAF, low wind P90 or Jazzmaster pickup make a clearer distinction. 

And @sweepy ; the trem on my Jazzmaster is very different, that's just a matter of tension. Thicker strings require more lbs of force to stretch. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I generally fingerpick so skinny strings don't suit that style.
    The sound differences are fairly minimal to my ears.
    If you want to punch through, turn your amp up.
  • FezFez Frets: 529
    A little bit of déjà vu as we had this a couple of months ago. I think what some of these guys are picking up on is that lighter strings have less mass moving in the magnetic field so are presenting a very slightly lower signal to the amp. They have a good dollop of distortion on so the lighter strings have a bit more clarity. It is one variable in a sea of variables. I say use what suits you and make your own tone.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JanekLubanskiJanekLubanski Frets: 167
    edited March 2020
    Errrrm.....I don't hear much difference!
    Maybe might have been better to play strings without the fuzz/overdrive so peeps could make their own comparison. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited March 2020
    Errrrm.....I don't hear much difference!
    Maybe might have been better to play strings without the fuzz/overdrive so peeps could make their own comparison. 
    The most difference can be heard right at the end when the sound clip goes from 8 to 11s and the difference is very noticeable. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23023
    From my irrelevant amateurish perspective, I think they're right.  In the clips they've recorded the lighter strings produce the best-sounding results.

But that's specifically in a recording context, I don't record (nor am I likely to), so for me the playing feel of the guitar is more important.  And 8s and 9s feel too rubber-bandy.  I tried 11s and didn't think they improved the tone - the wound strings seemed to sound thuddy rather than tighter/bigger/more focused.  So I stick to 10s.
  • Were 8’s really as popular in the 70’s as Rick says? 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I used to use Picato red in the 70's on my LP custom, and they were 8's.  After a while, I moved up to Fender 9's.  We used to sell lots of sets of 8's & 9's in the mid-70's.  
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    Were 8’s really as popular in the 70’s as Rick says? 
    I used them on my Avon Les Paul copy. Ernie Balls in the blue packet.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    Yes. There were even 7s, and 6s too - really! Have a look at the old ad pic under "1980's" on Rotosound's website...

http://www.rotosound.com/history-4/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14322
    tFB Trader
    I've not even socked 8 gauge for years - so rarely asked for them, even at guitar shows
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    I've not even socked 8 gauge for years - so rarely asked for them, even at guitar shows

I used to use 8s on a Les Paul Custom after reading interviews with various name players using really  light strings (Page etc).  The big difference was it had the old "fretless wonder" fretwire.  At that point I didn't know that bigger fretwire made bending easier, I don't think it was something most players knew.  I think it would be harder to play controlled bends on fretless wonder with 8s compared to jumbo frets with 10s.

Incidentally I never thought the tone suffered with the 8s, although I use 9s now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”