PRS Starla SE/Mira SE

What's Hot
sawyersawyer Frets: 732
edited March 2020 in Guitar
Just been looking at these. Look really good for the money. Anyone tried one? White with tortie/blue frost with mint guard for me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Yes,I had a Starla ....it was a great guitar....very comfortable and pickups were very sweet
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    As a rule, PRS SE instruments are well-made but, of necessity, savings have been made in various departments. The items I usually change are the pickups, control electronics and tuners. 

Having said that, the G&B-made 'S' pickups work perfectly well if mated with the right host guitar. (#7 > Tokai SG, HFS/VB > Squier VM Jaguar HH.) The G&B pickups in my S2 Vela are staying put.

If forced to choose between the Starla and Mira, I would cheat by having the pickups of the former in the body of the latter.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    They’ve now got licensed versions of the Phase II tuners on them, so probably have less need to upgrade them. The newer generation of SE pickups (e.g. 85/15S, Starla, etc) have been brilliant too!

I’d like either of the new ones, but would particularly like to try the Starla as it’s a little more left-field.

@Dominic - do you mean you’ve already had one of the SE ones?!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    No it was an S2
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    The distinction between PRS Core, S2 and SE almost exactly parallels Fender's USA, Performer and Standard ranges. One fully domestic, one "import" and the middle one being a hybrid of domestic woodwork and import hardware.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I’ve got one of the SE Mira. Well made guitar but not that keen on the pickups they’re very bright to my ears. Will probably change to something darker when things get back to normal.
  • Seems like used S2’s can often for the same cash for the newer Indonesian SE’s. Saying that, the new Starla SE’s body carve looks a tad nicer to me somewhat. 
    There were stoptail equipped Core Starla’s made by PRS many years ago before the whole S2 line even came into existence. Hard to find though I’m sure - haven’t seen them in the used market in recent years. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Seems like used S2’s can often for the same cash for the newer Indonesian SE’s. Saying that, the new Starla SE’s body carve looks a tad nicer to me somewhat. 
    There were stoptail equipped Core Starla’s made by PRS many years ago before the whole S2 line even came into existence. Hard to find though I’m sure - haven’t seen them in the used market in recent years. 
    A dealer in Germany still has a new one in stock - 

https://www.station-musicshop.de/epages/64398533.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64398533/Products/8596
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Core starla's had a shorter scale length and better pickups, although I prefer the S2 necks
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I noodled on an SE Starla in a local store before the lockdown on a couple of occasions. It really surprised me. It sounded surprisingly vintagey and warm. Like I imagine a nice, old LP would sound. If it had a shorter scale length, I think I would have given in to temptation.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    I always wished I had held off on my Tremonti SE and got the newer model with S pickups. Not been a fan of the old ones but that’s easily remedied. I’m finding it very difficult not to drool at the SE Mira/Starla. Very difficult.