Surprise NGD - well, pre-lockdown but you know

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited March 2020 in Guitar
Before all this kicked off, there had been a guitar sitting secondhand in my local music shop which was catching my eye. I recognised it immediately as a Jackson DK2M - not one of the current Mexican (?) models, one of the old Japanese ones from about 2007 or 2008. I've always, always loved this model and always been staggered by the value for money they offer - they were only about £500 new, for a guitar with a set of kosher Seymour Duncans and a not-terrible licensed Floyd, and even now they're only selling used for a couple of hundred quid. Still a couple of hundred quid more than I currently have to spaff on a guitar though, so I kept on eyeing it forlornly and tormenting myself by playing it at every opportunity and wondering if there was anything I could sell to make it happen. I wanted it as a dedicated D standard/drop C guitar, for all my 2000s metal needs.

Then, recently, my dad surprised me with it. Over the moon doesn't cover it - I love this guitar. It's set up in drop C with a set of 10-52s (bottom strings are possibly too light, thinking 10-56 might be better) and plays like greased lightning. And I think it looks ace... all-black can look a bit boring sometimes but not on this model - I love the high-contrast black inlays on the maple board. In this colour it reminds me of the old ESP M-II that Ben from Rise To Remain (an early guitar hero of mine, who later became my teacher) used to gig with. At some point I may swap the pickups out, although the JB and Jazz set is good for now.

So... pics?

Love it. Videos may be coming soon...
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3060
    Good score. These were solid work horses. They don't come up for sale often as people love them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10317

Congrats. I was after one of these a few years ago, in white though. Ended up getting my Charvel instead. You're right about prices, they do seem to go insanely cheap. Been gassing again recently for a Jackson, but need to keep a lid on it until this CV business blows over.

Look forward to seeing your vids. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Anyone who wants a video, here is one I made earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jurzxfGSsSw
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom