Is your knowledge better than your playing...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    interesting .. I see the systems and thought as auto-pilot -- but it makes sense we can all have different defaults.

but anyway, see how this grabs ya...

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Wow , the thread is getting almost intelligent , have I drifted into a different forum.

Boobs'n'bums

There, normality restored

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    mike_l said:
    Wow , the thread is getting almost intelligent , have I drifted into a different forum.

Boobs'n'bums

There, normality restored

:( another area where my theoretical knowledge outstrips my hands on experience...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Yes, but it can be useful. E.g. I can come up with a tune, riff, chord sequence or whatever in my head while on the train to work and write the notation down so I don't forget it and so I can play it when I get home.  

I'd like to improve my improvising and jamming skills, and should focus more on rhythm, feel, and less on somewhat bland composition.
    I am going to get some ear training mp3's for my ipod and start trying some simple transcribing to see if I can get out of the habits I have playing only in certain scale shapes.
    frankus said:
    interesting .. I see the systems and thought as auto-pilot -- but it makes sense we can all have different defaults.

but anyway, see how this grabs ya...

Excellent , sums it up well... I guess that we are all seeking getting to the fourth room , but have to find our own way there... I think I have sneaked in there for a short time and that is the drug that keeps me going.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    It is now, I haven't been playing all that much in the past year or so.  I must do something about that.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    My theory is way more advanced than my ears.

IMHO, well developed hearing is the most important thing for playing music.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27022
    My heart, head and ears are all as good as I want them to be. My fingers are a bit slow though.

Most of my theory comes from 8 years of combined piano sax and clarinet growing up so no problems there. I couldn't tell a myxolydian if it hit me in the face though. I find guitarists often think that stuff is *way* more important than it really is. At the end of the day it's all about melody, and being able to apply whatever is in your head to the fretboard via your fingers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom