Fingernail wear

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TrevinDevonTrevinDevon Frets: 28
    After reading this thread I bought something called Nunale nail strengthening cream for less than a fiver off ebay. I've been using it for a week or so and it seems to be working since my nails are in need of filing now instead of just being worn away, and no splits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    @artiebear ;

First attempt was applied by my daughter. Very lumpy, flaked off pretty quickly, had to sand it down loads 
    I did a second coat that was smoother but not very strong, only lasted a few days
    I decided to clean that off and leave it a bit

Recently I noticed that the nails were thinner and weaker than before, I assume because of all the sanding down

Finally I managed to do better yesterday, I had watched a couple of the youtube videos
    I concluded that I needed to use more of the liquid

So now I have proper, smooth, great big thick acrylic layers 

One thing I have noticed is that the tone I am getting is less bright, which is great on my brighter guitars, but I will need to use 80/20 strings on my favourite warmer guitar

I tested the effect against 2 plectrums, one thick, one medium, and with this thickness of nail, I am definitely getting more like the thick plectrum tone, which makes sense

I hope these nails don't flake, but they are nice and thick now
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810

@artiebear ;

First attempt was applied by my daughter. Very lumpy, flaked off pretty quickly, had to sand it down loads 
    I did a second coat that was smoother but not very strong, only lasted a few days
    I decided to clean that off and leave it a bit

Recently I noticed that the nails were thinner and weaker than before, I assume because of all the sanding down

Finally I managed to do better yesterday, I had watched a couple of the youtube videos
    I concluded that I needed to use more of the liquid

So now I have proper, smooth, great big thick acrylic layers 

One thing I have noticed is that the tone I am getting is less bright, which is great on my brighter guitars, but I will need to use 80/20 strings on my favourite warmer guitar

I tested the effect against 2 plectrums, one thick, one medium, and with this thickness of nail, I am definitely getting more like the thick plectrum tone, which makes sense

I hope these nails don't flake, but they are nice and thick now

I find that that the tone of my acrylics ( if applied right ) do sound close to my Jim Dunlop thumb picks, which for me is a good thing as I cross pick a lot and don't want an inconsistency between the two. Pay careful attention to the string side of the application, I have found that making sure there isn't too much build up there helps to get a clearer tone. If there is too much it can create an issue where the string is actually sliding over the build up in the picking action rather than creating a clear attack, similar to using a 2mm pick against a 1mm. 

My issues are usually the other way, with the tone getting brighter and thinner as I wear the acrylic down on the underside.
    @artiebear ;
    for now I have removed it from all but thumb and index finger - most of my guitars were sounding very dull, and I remembered those 2 were the thinnest nails
    Seems to be working with this combination so far - I mostly use the other fingers for the top 3 strings
    May try to put a thinner layer on the other nails next time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I used to tour with a guy who only ever did the index finger for acoustic stuff.. It leads you down a veritable rabbit hole of analysis as to how you strike the strings and how you use each finger. I didn't realise how much I cross picked until a nail broke on me..
    Also the surface of the nail drags a bit when strumming, does polishing it reduce that? it feels like the string is sticking to the nail instead of gliding past
    Also the surface of the nail drags a bit when strumming, does polishing it reduce that? it feels like the string is sticking to the nail instead of gliding past
    Definitely do so if it is dragging. I tend to just use a very fine grade file across the hail to smooth out any ridges or uneven areas. 
    This morning I have filed the acrylic on the index finger nail into more of a bevelled shape, so that it gets thinner closer to the nail edge, this seems to have helped the tone when plucking

I will polish it later to see if I can reduce the drag