Best Helix Solution for Home

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    @UnclePsychosis - yep, that’s exactly how I had my first one setup!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've been tempted to buy something like a mkII Katana as a powercab just to give me that 12 inch speaker feeling. 
    For what it’s worth, I’ve been playing mine through my KTN100’s fx return the last few days and it sounds great. I don’t have anything else here to compare it to, but it’s a hell of a lot better for this approach than I expected it to be! I’m still leaning towards selling the KTN and getting one of the Laney LFR-112s though.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I fancy trying an LFR but I think if they are anything like my DXR10S, they will need a lil bit of volume to make them sound ok.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2184
    Anyone tried using one of these colourless power amp pedals to power a regular cabinet? Surely this is the amp in the room experience, as it would turn the Helix in to the equivalent of a powered Kemper. 

Something like this. https://m.thomann.de/gb/hotone_loudster_portable_power_amp.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIZ9az7iQDc7FTBiHPHwA-W2K5Qfspb2r-kUqPHZA3ewN7esmXnQELIaAvG8EALw_wcB ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the Powercab any good at handling bass?

I play both bass and guitar through my Stomp. Currently using an Alto TS312 PA speaker for both, which works pretty well although a little bit 'boomy' on for guitar sometimes, but wonder if the Powercab might be better.

Same question I guess with the Laney LFR, anyone tried that with bass?

Barnezy said:
    Anyone tried using one of these colourless power amp pedals to power a regular cabinet? Surely this is the amp in the room experience, as it would turn the Helix in to the equivalent of a powered Kemper. 

Something like this. https://m.thomann.de/gb/hotone_loudster_portable_power_amp.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIZ9az7iQDc7FTBiHPHwA-W2K5Qfspb2r-kUqPHZA3ewN7esmXnQELIaAvG8EALw_wcB ;

That approach plus one of these seems to have a lot of potential too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123923065476

I get that the Headrush et al options are good, but surely 2000w isn’t remotely usable at home?!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I use the Headrush 112 FRFR and it works fantastic at home. Just keep the levels down. 
    My thinking is I'm not overly fussed with using the virtual cabs. If a had a bunch of tube heads, I'd just have one cab. The Helix can't power a cab on its own, but with one of these pedals, it can.

Takes away that issue everyone has with FRFR's znd the amp in the room feeling. 

Anyone taking this approach? What power amp pedal is considered the least coloured/most flat?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599

Barnezy said:
    My thinking is I'm not overly fussed with using the virtual cabs. If a had a bunch of tube heads, I'd just have one cab. The Helix can't power a cab on its own, but with one of these pedals, it can.

Anyone taking this approach? What power amp pedal is considered the least coloured/most flat?
    I've got the SD170 powerstage which is very good but I've also had good results using the effects return of a Quilter 101 mini head. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Is the Powercab any good at handling bass?

I play both bass and guitar through my Stomp. Currently using an Alto TS312 PA speaker for both, which works pretty well although a little bit 'boomy' on for guitar sometimes, but wonder if the Powercab might be better.

Same question I guess with the Laney LFR, anyone tried that with bass?

I specifically emailed Laney about using the LFR with bass, their super helpful response was:

' This is not something we have tried but I cannot see a problem if its not run flat out'

It's certainly great at loud home volumes, but never gigged or rehearsed with bass with the LFR ,but my guess would be it would be every bit as cabable, if not better than the TS312 for bass.

Plastic PA speakers can be a bit boomy, just use the EQ to dial it out.
  • Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    Barnezy said:

The harley benton gpa-400 is pretty neutral and runs really cool. 

The knobs on it are tacky as hell though
    Any further thoughts on this?

I’m still leaning towards either the Laney LFR, or a power amp + guitar cab. I want that amp-in-the-room sound and fee that I’m used to, and it doesn’t seem like that’s doable via FRFR?

Normally I’d go and demo the LFR, Headrush, Powercab, DXR, etc, but in this climate that’s pretty much impossible! :(
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you REALLY want an amp in the room sound then FX return of a small valve combo is the cheapest way to do this, but as I, and others have said a pair of monitors for home use is a great solution.  Grab some off Amazon, and if you don't like them send them back
    Fair enough - I'm even enjoying the Helix through my Katana at the moment, it certainly sounds closer to what I'm used to. I do wonder how much "better" a power amp & cab, or valve combo might be though, but I guess that's just natural GAS. :)

I'd prefer to avoid monitors for now though as I had a good setup before and didn't like that approach. I can see why it works for many, just not for me!
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    For me i've found a 1x12 cab and power amp gives me the most enjoyment. I've got a wedge monitor i sometimes use, but i just prefer the rawness that a proper speaker in the room gives me, i also find its a lot easier to get a good sound a lot quicker  without having to mess with ir's and high and low cuts etc. 
    What power amp are you using @nick79?
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I'm using a Fryette Powerstation, i originally got it to tame my nmv amp (which it does brilliantly), but it also works very well just as a power amp. 

For the cab i bought a 1x12 Montage from Lean Business, think it was about £120  (unloaded). I chucked an Eminence Governor in it and i'm very pleased with it, sounds great!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22165

I’m still leaning towards either the Laney LFR, or a power amp + guitar cab. I want that amp-in-the-room sound and fee that I’m used to, and it doesn’t seem like that’s doable via FRFR?

Normally I’d go and demo the LFR, Headrush, Powercab, DXR, etc, but in this climate that’s pretty much impossible! :(
    I'm going through the same thoughts. Really considering buying a Roland JC-22 Jazz Chorus and using it as a powered cabinet hooked up to the LT. The 6.5" speakers would suit this apartment better than a 12" FRFR option and I'm a sucker for playing in stereo at home. 

I'm going through the same thoughts. Really considering buying a Roland JC-22 Jazz Chorus and using it as a powered cabinet hooked up to the LT. The 6.5" speakers would suit this apartment better than a 12" FRFR option and I'm a sucker for playing in stereo at home. 
    Could use a GT40 through the aux in. 6.5" flat response speakers. 
    Good idea @Heartfeltdawn - I hadn’t thought about stereo rig options like that, though I’d be unsure if speakers that small would work well for heavy tones too?