I have a band dilemma ( sort of)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    yes, they do have my  number - good point! Although I left on the basis I didn't want to do the band thing anymore so maybe it wouldn't occur to them to ask.

I feel I'm going off the idea; either put some proper effort into putting a band together or take up knitting.
    :o3
    Well if you've told them you aren't doing band things anymore that might be a different story as they wouldn't expect you to be available. Like I said you know the situation better than I.

One thing I've learnt is that actually decent guitarists are just as rare a commodity as decent anything else there is just a lot more shit out there to sift through. 

I've had feedback from some pro musicians where they've said they really like working with me because though they've played with people who were a lot more technical at soloing and stuff they don't really care about that especially and their main problem with guitarists are usually that:
    * They want to take masses of solos
    * They want to turn up really loud "to get the toobz working man" 
    * They can solo, but don't have very strong rhythm
    * They have massive diva strops and can be really arrogant

So if you don't act like a massive dick and you can play rhythm guitar competently you are actually quite a valuable asset (as @digitalscream will attest to)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26651
    monquixote said:

So if you don't act like a massive dick and you can play rhythm guitar competently you are actually quite a valuable asset (as @digitalscream will attest to)
    I wanted to put "Acts like an adult" in our JMB ad, but the rest of the band nixed it because they thought it sounded condescending. Ironic, really, since that line was the only one designed specifically to address the problems we had previously...
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    monquixote said:

I wanted to put "Acts like an adult" in our JMB ad, but the rest of the band nixed it because they thought it sounded condescending. Ironic, really, since that line was the only one designed specifically to address the problems we had previously...
    We had "No Egos" in our band ad. 

Being about 10 bands into my music (non) career I'm now at the stage that I put professionalism before just about anything else. 
    Also same goals as having a mix of people in the band who do and don't need the money, or want to get signed always leads to disaster.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    I think I spotted Part 2 on there the other day oddly enough but watched a Wallander instead.
    If you can't find it, let's just say it ends badly and involves lawyers.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

monquixote said:

Being about 10 bands into my music (non) career I'm now at the stage that I put professionalism before just about anything else. 
    Also same goals as having a mix of people in the band who do and don't need the money, or want to get signed always leads to disaster.
    I'd like to say the same, but some of our stuff is really quite difficult to play (properly), which puts me in the unfortunate position of looking with ability on a par with professionalism, and with decent gear (or the ability to buy it) close behind.
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    yes, they do have my  number - good point! Although I left on the basis I didn't want to do the band thing anymore so maybe it wouldn't occur to them to ask.

I feel I'm going off the idea; either put some proper effort into putting a band together or take up knitting.
    :o3
    Well if you've told them you aren't doing band things anymore that might be a different story as they wouldn't expect you to be available. Like I said you know the situation better than I.

One thing I've learnt is that actually decent guitarists are just as rare a commodity as decent anything else there is just a lot more shit out there to sift through. 

I've had feedback from some pro musicians where they've said they really like working with me because though they've played with people who were a lot more technical at soloing and stuff they don't really care about that especially and their main problem with guitarists are usually that:
    * They want to take masses of solos
    * They want to turn up really loud "to get the toobz working man" 
    * They can solo, but don't have very strong rhythm
    * They have massive diva strops and can be really arrogant

In the old band the singer also played guitar so I was solo guy by and large. Mostly this was my one blues solo repeated in any number of keys and tempos so they may not have the best impression of me!

From mooching through places like JoinMyBand I do seem to be the only guitarist in the West Midlands above the age of 30 who is happy to do something other than blues or blues-rock. Actually, I'd be quite happy to do those as well but there are so many people doing that.

Actually, I'm beginning to think, reading my own comments on here,  if I was generally friendlier other people might contact me!

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

I'm available. Although you'll have to lower your standards to get me........
    I'm not entirely sure a 90 mile round-trip for rehearsals would suit you ;)

I'm not sure my lack of ability would suit you.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    monquixote said:

I'd like to say the same, but some of our stuff is really quite difficult to play (properly), which puts me in the unfortunate position of looking with ability on a par with professionalism, and with decent gear (or the ability to buy it) close behind.
    Yeah the problem you then get is top quality professionalism and ability usually results in "semi-pro needs the money and is in 9 bands" or "wants to be a rock star and doesn't understand that other people have jobs and families"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    I'd start again tbh, but forget looking for band members, just find a singer. The other members just magically appear when you've sorted the frontperson.
    p90fool said:
    I'd start again tbh, but forget looking for band members, just find a singer. The other members just magically appear when you've sorted the frontperson.
    Funny you should say that. It's exactly how my current band came about (I actually just wanted to put a recording project together, and accidentally ended up with a band).
    <space for hire>