Epiphone nut - to fiddle or not fiddle?

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
My son bought a second-hand epi sg400 on facebook. 

Really nice guitar for the £100 he paid for it but I found the action at the 1st fret very high. 

He's changing the strings for the first time and found the nut is not glued in place. Looking at it, it's brand new so guessing someone bought a pre-cut nut and left it as it. The string slots seem fine. 

I'm planning on gluing it in at least. Should I use wood glue or super glue (or something else?)

Is it worth marking a 1 mill line around the bottom and sanding it off so that the slots stay the same but overall lower the action a bit or should I stay clear? Never really done any guitar maintenance before, always go to a tech. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    2 incredibly small dabs of superglue will do fine 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    edited March 2020

That's how I usually do it when I fit a new nut. Just take your time, and take a little off at a time, checking the height as you go. I also round off any edges slightly too while I'm at it, just to make the nut more comfortable. I also run some folded extra fine wet and dry paper in the slots to wear away any sharp edges that may bind the strings. Works for me, and always had good results, though obviously not the most professional method to use. 

Oh yes, and fix with a touch of superglue as sweepy says. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    If you can make some kind of jig to keep the bottom and back of the nut square whilst you sand it, that will help... Stops the nut 'rocking'  when you restring. Spare nuts are cheap so if you muck it up its not the end of the world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Balrog68 said:
    If you can make some kind of jig to keep the bottom and back of the nut square whilst you sand it, that will help... Stops the nut 'rocking'  when you restring. Spare nuts are cheap so if you muck it up its not the end of the world. 
    That makes sense. Are you able to describe how I might go about making a jig?