Wrote something for a competition

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Sarah Longfield has announced a competition on YouTube - write a guitar solo over a backing track, a panel of judges will narrow the entries down to a shortlist of 10, and the public will then vote on it. The prize is one of her signature Strandberg guitars.

Here's my entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NN-LwR5d7E

Here's the video explaining the competition if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApue9Thw70

So yeah. Hope you enjoy!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I'd vote for it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Great stuff mate! You’ve got massive hands, have only just noticed! May give that a go tomorrow too.
  • Sounds great and not over done, not my usual thing but I thought it was really good 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Just seen this - another entry which I really enjoyed. There's some stiff competition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHkq2YoImQg
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    edited April 2020
    Bucket said:
    Just seen this - another entry which I really enjoyed. There's some stiff competition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHkq2YoImQg
    Being hyper critical, for a genre that I assume is based solely around technical playing, is his timing pretty sloppy in places or is it just me? It's not like I can do all of that stuff without putting some serious time in so I'm not about to prove him wrong and I don't normally listen to this kind of stuff so I would probably never have the inclination even if I could.

I dunno, I'm probably just a dick!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Just saw this so since I'm waiting for my video on looping to render I did a quick couple of takes and this was the least shit

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited April 2020
    Wow this thread just proves how technically inept I am.  :)

Superb skills @Bucket. I don’t know much about the genre but I’d vote for you
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2020
    JohnCordy said:
    Just saw this so since I'm waiting for my video on looping to render I did a quick couple of takes and this was the least shit

Fuck me, that's superb.

Great work.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    Amazing technical capability on all fronts... 

@JohnCordy gets my vote (as always)... your note choice, timing and phrasing is joyful to listen to mate.. lifted an otherwise drab day :)

Si

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @grappagreen well that's very kind of you to say! Hadn't heard about it before I saw this post from @Bucket though so thanks for that!! Good work!
  • Bucket said:
    Sarah Longfield has announced a competition on YouTube - write a guitar solo over a backing track, a panel of judges will narrow the entries down to a shortlist of 10, and the public will then vote on it. The prize is one of her signature Strandberg guitars.

Here's my entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NN-LwR5d7E

Here's the video explaining the competition if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApue9Thw70

So yeah. Hope you enjoy!
    That's really great! Well done! 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2392
    edited April 2020
    JohnCordy said:

Bloody hell, that was fantastic! 
    I think what impresses me most with this is I wouldn't have the foggiest as to how you've even come up with it, in terms of scale/note choice; after years of fairly bog standard rhythm playing my lead work doesn't extend much beyond basic pentatonics and natural minor licks. Lovely phrasing and beautiful playing.
    Tim
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited April 2020
    Cool solo, I liked it. 

I may have a go, but I only have about an ounce of technical ability. I have no idea who she is (I'll have to check her out) but I have to say that her video quality is AMAZING! I've never seen such a crisp clear guitar video before. I wonder what camera is being used?

Great prize ...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited April 2020
    axisus said:
    Cool solo, I liked it. 

I may have a go, but I only have about an ounce of technical ability. I have no idea who she is (I'll have to check her out) but I have to say that her video quality is AMAZING! I've never seen such a crisp clear guitar video before. I wonder what camera is being used?

Great prize ...
    I think that the crispness is mainly down to her recording in 60fps (looks like 60 to me). Makes everything seem faster and more fluid compared to the regular 24/30Fps that we're used to. 

Amazing solos guys. Bucket's is great, but John's shreddy legato section really did it for me. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Bucket said:
    Being hyper critical, for a genre that I assume is based solely around technical playing, is his timing pretty sloppy in places or is it just me? It's not like I can do all of that stuff without putting some serious time in so I'm not about to prove him wrong and I don't normally listen to this kind of stuff so I would probably never have the inclination even if I could.

I dunno, I'm probably just a dick!
    I'm probably just a dick too as I couldn't play that. 

I would have loved to see him look up from the camera. To me, a lot of music is about connecting with people, not just notes and chords. 

I also found it a little bit 'paint by numbers' - could probably fairly accurately guess how many seconds in before he did the inevitable tapping bit and the fast runs. 

As I say, he's a way more skilled player than me so who am I to judge......
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I preferred you clean shaven with the smart haircut.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Absolutely superb work @Bucket ; and @JohnCordy

Bucket if I could make one minor comment it's that compared to some of the other entries the backing track is a bit quiet so it's hard to hear how the notes of your solo fit into the backing, but the playing is first rate.

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    Seeing as all my work has now dried up, I thought I'd give this a go to try keep things ticking over. Not my usual thing but a great track to play over. Had to quickly learn a new video editor so the syncing is a little out... 

@Bucket and @JohnCordy - great stuff chaps, very inspiring!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    JohnCordy said:

Congrats @JohnCordy - top 10 :) I've been keeping an eye on it as one of my students entered btw, I'm not stalking you! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Vibetronic oh right haha I don't even know where to see any of this stuff?