Cleaning guitars for COVID-19

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Appreciate this should really be a sanctuary from all that jazz (..jazz generally, come to think of it) but I’ve got a guitar arriving mail order tomorrow and I’m trying to figure out how to sanitise a nitro lacquered guitar without softening the finish?

Best I can think would be windolene wipes (slightly acidic, bonds to grease)

Any genius-level luthier/virologist/domestic scientists out there who can suggest a good way of doing this? - suspect there’s a few people out there who might be interested in nailing this

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    edited March 2020
    I'd suggest gloves (duh!) & a diluted solution of household bleach which will not affect nitro (or any other finishes) dry off afterward, should be fine (usual sample areas first rules still apply though).
    https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Wait three days before opening it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    edited March 2020
    Don't open it for two days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    If you are worried then surely the answer is to unpackage it and examine it wearing gloves and leave it for 3 days before playing 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah I left mine in the case for three days in the end. Sod it
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    As said diluted bleach
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Bleach on Nitro? ..is that theory or based on hands-on experience?

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Another one here for just leaving it for a few days. 

I got my car back from the stealers saturday.. its been sat on the drive since. They had it for 3 weeks so God knows whos fucked with it. 

That and I'm actually fully not up for disinfecting it. Would take ages and no doubt the chemicals would fuck with the plastics and leather. 

Figured I'll leave it a few days then just give it a good clean as usual with normal car cleaning gear.  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Sodium Hypochlorite (diluted or concentrated) will not affect nitrocellulose, as it is not a solvent.
    Not saying this is categorical, but I just swabbed my favourite guitar in the world (nitro finish) with undiluted Morrisons thick bleach (left for 5 minutes) & bugger all happened.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    P.S. Sodium Hypochlorite / Bleach will do all metallic & other materials no good whatsoever... just saying.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I mean couldnt you just use soapy water if that kills it on the old hands?

thing is unless you can do the strings, fretboard, frets and in their nooks and in all the crevices, scratch plates/backing plates in the pickup mountings, couldnt that shit just be hiding in there anyway lol? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited March 2020
    I have one delivered on Saturday unboxed in the garage, antbacterial wipes over guitar and hands, into the house, dried it off and washed hands. I’m not dead yet. 

It had been in transit for 3 days so figured any nasties may be gone anyway. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Don't touch it for a few days, you could put it on a guitar stand and have it stand outside in the day and let UV its its job too.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    @Kittyfrisk - that’s dedication to the cause - really appreciate that, Sir!

Gents, I get the ‘patience is a virtue’ approach, but I can’t see that being compatible with GAS
    Don't touch it for a few days, you could put it on a guitar stand and have it stand outside in the day and let UV its its job too.
    Raymond bonny lad, if you did that in the UK someone would steal it or it would suffer terribly in the weather.
    Today I had warm sunshine, light rain & sleet.
    Sunlight is a great disinfectant as my old agriculture lecturers said,  but not in the average UK garden  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    SunDevil said:
    @Kittyfrisk - that’s dedication to the cause - really appreciate that, Sir!

Gents, I get the ‘patience is a virtue’ approach, but I can’t see that being compatible with GAS
    Believe me, I was shitting a brick when I first tried Naptha as it IS a solvent (liquid Zippo type lighter fuel) but when it comes to other stuff I'll test it (as with the bleach, in a controlled manner).
    Having worked in biological, chemical & archaeological labs means I actually have some real world experience too   ;)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited March 2020
    I use my car boot as a goods inward quarantine locker.Its had model train stuff left in it ,dog food ,bird food ,tinned food etc.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Raymond bonny lad, if you did that in the UK someone would steal it or it would suffer terribly in the weather.
    Today I had warm sunshine, light rain & sleet.
    Sunlight is a great disinfectant as my old agriculture lecturers said,  but not in the average UK garden  :)

How about a flame-thrower then? nothing like a bit of relic-ing.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Schnozz said:
    Was seconds from posting this