Peavey Bandit 112 - Please help! I’ve broken it...

What's Hot
powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
edited March 2020 in Amps
I was dicking around with the various sockets on the front of my Peavey Bandit 112 Silver Stripe (a 90s transtube one). I stuck a lead into the ‘EFX Loop Return’ and when I pulled it out, there was a loud pop. Since then there has been a low volume scratchy, crackle in the background. It goes away when I switch to the lead channel, so only affects the clean channel. 

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I’ve buggered and whether it can be fixed?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited March 2020
    Possibly a fault with the loop jack connections. I'm sure I read @ICBM mention that they end up failing due to never actually being used. The man himself will be along soon as the thread title will lure him like a moth to a light
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited March 2020
    cbilly22 said:
    Possibly a fault with the loop jack connections. I'm sure I read @ICBM mention that they end up failing due to never actually being used. The man himself will be along soon as the thread title will lure him like a moth to a light
    lol

Your @ did, anyway .

That does sound like quite an odd problem, and not one I've come across. Although it has to be said that faults on these are extremely rare...

The reason it's so odd is that there are no components in common between the clean channel and the FX loop, and any fault in the FX loop circuit should affect both channels equally - it's not even that it operates at different levels for the two channels, it's the same.

Is the noise affected by the tone controls on the clean channel?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    I had one in the workshop last year that did that ... took the board out, did every joint on it, put it back and fault still there .. found it in the end it was the effects loop jacks not closing properly

Try a short lead in the loop 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    I had one in the workshop last year that did that ... took the board out, did every joint on it, put it back and fault still there .. found it in the end it was the effects loop jacks not closing properly
    I thought it might be that, but it's odd that it causes noise only on the clean channel - that made me think it wasn't.

But trouble with the FX loop jacks is one of the only things that goes wrong with them, so it doesn't entirely surprise me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    I’ll try tomorrow and report back - thanks. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Similar thing happened to a Carslbro Bass combo I had.  It would only work if there was a lead between the sockets in the fx loop. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Randall modular amps are like that too, the red loop can be a pita and are usually fixed by either a patch lead or plugging something into it
    It seems that it does affect both channels and putting a patch lead from EFX send to return doesn’t stop the crackling.
    powerhand said:
    It seems that it does affect both channels and putting a patch lead from EFX send to return doesn’t stop the crackling.
    Does the FX level switch change the amount of noise?

ICBM said:
    powerhand said:
    Does the FX level switch change the amount of noise?
    Unfortunately I don’t have the FX foot switch. 
    powerhand said:

Not the footswitch - the level switch on the front of the amp. (Actually marked 'EFX Level' now I've looked at a pic!) If the noise is coming from the FX loop send/return IC, that should alter the level of the noise.

ICBM said:
    powerhand said:

Not the footswitch - the level switch on the front of the amp. (Actually marked 'EFX Level' now I've looked at a pic!) If the noise is coming from the FX loop send/return IC, that should alter the level of the noise.
    Ah, gotcha. I’ll have a look once I’ve finished doing phonics with my 5 year old. 
    It seems to have resolved itself. I had an Amazon Echo Dot which I’d recently moved on to the top of the amp. I moved it away this afternoon and the crackling has gone - WiFi interference?? 
    powerhand said:
    It seems to have resolved itself. I had an Amazon Echo Dot which I’d recently moved on to the top of the amp. I moved it away this afternoon and the crackling has gone - WiFi interference?? 
    That sounds quite possible!

ICBM said:
    powerhand said:
    That sounds quite possible!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1499
    Fishing this out of the depths of the forum to add my own experience. 

I was recording something with the Bandit, and then all of a sudden this LOUD %**+*****^%%##?!!?!!!!!!! gives me a mini heart attack and fucks the recording completely. Came to the forum and saw this comment by @powerhand ;

The phone. I had left the goddamn mobile phone on top of the amp :lol: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom