Anyone using Laney Ironheart Studio for Live & or Recording?thoughts?

GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
edited March 2020 in Amps
as title say any one using the Ironheart Studio i'd be interested in comments thoughts etc.
Like can it do Rock & Roll (Stones,Feelgood etc.)as well as Heavy sounds.
Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Tried it a few times in various shopps and, based on that experience, it'll do metal, Metally metal, Fizzy McFizzface and not a lot else.  I really wanted to find a nice sound on it so I could move on from my decades old Pod Pro rack unit...
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    You may be better off with an older Laney
    I believe @Kittyfrisk may have a wealth of experience with older Laneys.
    When logic and proportion
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    You may be better off with an older Laney
    I believe @Kittyfrisk may have a wealth of experience with older Laneys.
    @Revolting1 ;; That is very kind of you to say that, but I'd say my experience is fairly limited (not being falsely modest here).

I have a few variants of TT20's that I have amassed over the years and a TT100 that I bought cheap as a non runner, intending to try out it's Neo speakers, then found it was easily fixed :-D

The TT20's are my go to amp for home use as I like the flexibility & warm sound (some information here with the usual invaluable input from @ICBM ;; ) 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/176579/amp-sound-from-a-schematic#latest

The TT100 (Ecc83's EL34's) is a totally different beast to the TT20's (Ecc83's & EL84's).
     My TT100 is the combo 2x12" with Celestion Century Vintage Neodymiums, still too big & heavy for me but the cleans & headroom are impressive. Midi capable too if that is your thing.

I came across this Laney thread too  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/37585/so-if-marshall-wont-do-what-about-laney/p1
    As with most things guitar related, to say that opinions are divided is a major understatement  :)
    Oh yes, apparently some bloke called Andy Timmons used a Laney TT100h  so maybe not such total crap? ;)

If you try a web search, you will get wider views.
    Obviously, you should try before you buy if you can, but the best thing about 1990's Laneys is that they are generally available for bugger all, so IMHO that makes them worth a speculative punt.
    Hope this helps, but probably not  B)
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Honestly you can get a pretty decent range of sounds out of them, I dont find them fizzy (nothing like the evh lunchbox head for example) and the onboard reverb is really nice. It's a pretty decent amp all in all. I'll probably be selling one shortly as am eyeing up a Mesa in the classifieds.
  • I had one for a while. Great amp for metal and hard rock, but not really right for stones and feelgood.
    The clean channel wasn’t inspiring but I loved the lead channel with high gain.
    It was very portable
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I find that the "crunch" channel wasn't much cop but the lead with the gain rolled back was pretty damn good. Used one in my cover band and it was good
  • That’s exactly how I used mine
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Thanks for the replies,i'm trying out some home recording(grounded because i'm at a dodgy corona age)& having a hard time with amp software so I just had a thought would one of these work for gigging as well as recording,i may check one out.
    But i might have made a bit of a break through with the an Amp app,so we'll see.

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2280
    edited April 2020
    I've got one I bought to have a go at recording myself with. I agree with @johnl - it does a good variety of sounds Inc clean. You get completely clean and unprocessed and the processed sound out the USB connection at the back. You can do whatever you want with the unprocessed sound Inc re-amping it.
    A good bit of kit
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    For recording, it's an incredibly versatile bit of kit, as @Adey mentions with the unprocessed signal output + the re-amping.
    Tone wise it's a bit "sterile" it does clean but it's just that. Haven't noticed any fizzyness with the crunch or lead channels and it does sound like a Laney when driven hard (quite gritty).
    I have mine in a mini rack with a GSP1101, set up in 4 cable method so I can use modelled pre-amps from the digitech or just the modulation effects with the IRT pre-amp section. Can get a pretty big range of usable sounds this way. And yes it can be used for gigging as well.
    For the outlay you'll struggle to find something as versatile in the same price bracket.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Thanks again for the replies,i'm going to put an add. In the classifieds,see if someone fancies a trade for one of my Amps.
  • I seemed to remember it being very good at low volume and the master volume taper was excellent.

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2280
    Laney also do an IRT SLS version, which is tiny and 300w !
    I haven't tried one, but if you like the sound that will do everything you want - recording and stadium gigs!
  • kramereekrameree Frets: 101
    I use the studio as a bedroom amp...they have a modern tone, Clean with single coils is great...not as warm as a fender but you can get a nice sparkle tone out of it, think 80-90s pop funk..Rhythm channels cover rock to metal, once again more of a modern tone but you can get that 80s "auk" type modded marshall tone right up to a super heavy tone..

Check out youtube where someone put the laney cleans against kemper cleans and I think you would be surprised with the results. I've not recorded with it and doubt without using some sound re enforcement (DI/Mic a cab) it would cut it with a heavy drummer..