2»

Comments

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    rossi said:

That is a nice look indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1954
    ICBM said:
    Birdseye maple is notorious for stability problems, but if the remedy is to roast the wood and break down its strength and hardness, you'd be better just to use less figured wood.
    Interesting - The 90s Musicman Basses I bought all had deadspots etc and all were birdseye maple.

I wonder if it's the same for flame maple.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    skinfreak said:
    rossi said:

That is a nice look indeed!
    Cheers .The paulwonia body is junk but works  for me .The neck pocket is atrocious and too deep and at an angle sloping back !! so needs two credit cards get the neck level  but  it also sets the neck slightly lower than usual  so is very playable .The bridge  is slightly on the creak  and there is also has a belly cut .The finish is amazingly thin poly  .I assume it came from far off Asia on an unknown cheapy .I keep meaning to get a decent body made to those specs but its really not worth it .its super light and resonant and..... worthless.The pickups are a bridge VanZandt and a Maida Vale A3 strat neck .The guy I bought it off had a  lovely 74 tele ,a hopeless tiny unknown crap  amp ,a settee and an oven and that was it .Oh and a Brian May uke .

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9347

Birdseye maple is notorious for stability problems, but if the remedy is to roast the wood and break down its strength and hardness, you'd be better just to use less figured wood.

Yes, two pieces of wood will always sound a bit different, but when you've played a few you will notice the clear pattern.

I know very well that I'm out of step with current fashion, but I won't apologise for that :).
    Less figured wood? Sorry, when the birds eye and roasting is this pretty I’ll take the risk of less strength

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Very happy with my roasted flamed maple Tele neck from @GSPBASSES. ; Wonderful sounding guitar, the neck feels lovely to play and it's a bit of a looker too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

here is a mug shot of the headstock
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    I like the look, but I've yet to try a guitar with a roasted maple neck. 

I might have bought a neck if I'd seen one I liked - I'd have expected Warmoth to have loads of highly figured roasted necks, but in fact most of the ones they have in stock are pretty plain and ugly.  The nice ones are at least $500.
    rossi said:

So it's an official Fender neck?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I think it all depends on whether it's roasted in olive oil or sunflower oil.
    Sassafras said:
    I think it all depends on whether it's roasted in olive oil or sunflower oil.
    Don't leave out the rapeseed and nuts either. Can you get a lighter shade with frylight?
    skinfreak said:
    rossi said:

So it's an official Fender neck?

yes.I really must do a proper repair .on the little damaged area Getting lazy and prefer to play it rather than repair it .Its a very playable  neck .Its got Fender Gotoh locking tuners from a Classic Player .