My Guitar heroes which aren’t my influences

What's Hot
Seeing as I’m never going to be able to play like Albert Lee, Steve VaI, Satch John McLaughlin  ect they aren’t on my influence list but I do enjoy their playing.
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I used to think that, but the more I listen to Vai, the more some very basic approximations of some of the things he does creep into my playing, apparently by osmosis or something... I'll never in a million years be able to play even 1% of the things he can, but the actual *sound* of what he does has clearly had some influence.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Whatever the hell my guitar style is has come from a huge number of different influences I've picked up over the years, to the point where I struggle to think of players that I like who have had no influence on my playing style at all...

Possibly Allan Holdsworth, but that's just because I have absolutely no idea how he did anything that he did.

Ah, there is one - Eric Johnson. I adore his playing and would love to be able to sound like him, but I'd say his actual influence on my playing style, so far, is pretty much negligible. Not that I've ruled it out for the future...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nd7EZ3k39s
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Pat Metheny... love love love his work, will never be able to play like him in a million years...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    A part of me say's that trying to copy and nail down say Robben Ford is like trying to play football like Messi - These guy's are the genius's of their trade - Watch them, enjoy them, take a snippet from them, but most of us will never be able to get close to what they can achieve - But that doesn't mean give up and don't try to improve
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Joe Pass - No interest in trying to play or sound like him, but extremely listenable.

Derek Trucks - Superb player, but it's never worried me that I don't play slide.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    I can reel off a list of cool, obscure and gifted players who are my conscious influences, but actually my subliminal Francis Rossi is the one which gets me through gigs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Frank Dunnery, Pat Metheny, Eric Johnson (not seen that live version of Dover for years! Thanks @Bucket that was great to see and really inspiring) people like Chet, Tommy Emmanuel and Jerry Reed.....I can’t ever come close but I love hearing them play and I’ll always keep trying.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    As my name implies, along with Gary Moore, John Sykes etc. Really, I'm more Steve Jones.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I can't play anything like any of the players that I like. I realised my limitations long ago but I still consider them as influences.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Joey Landreth perhaps. Sound nothing like him at all.
    I'm more Jesus & Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, Glenn Branca, droning, out of tune etc..... :3
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    David Gilmour - love his playing but don’t think I sound anything like him.
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    I used to think that, but the more I listen to Vai, the more some very basic approximations of some of the things he does creep into my playing, apparently by osmosis or something... I'll never in a million years be able to play even 1% of the things he can, but the actual *sound* of what he does has clearly had some influence.
    Exactly,
    It is not their technique or musical skills that many borrow from the big names just as the big names do/ did..
    it is the message, which  we all borrow, or try to borrow from others and then miix it with our own thing..that is how’s always been in my opinion,
    The problem
    is when we “Want” to be them,..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom