Acoustics that feel and play like electrics

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    My Alvarez acoustic feels a lot like an electric - mainly because of having been refretted with super jumbo wire 
    I also added an Earvana nut and some Maltese Cross inlays.

Selling this for £399 if interested

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    Want
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ICBM said:

The bad news is that you may have to pay slightly more than you'd like to for one that plays that well *and* sounds good. For example Yamaha APXs sound terrible (both acoustically and in my opinion plugged in), even though they play easily.

I generally agree the acoustic sound of the APX's sound not great...but the top of the range sounds noticeably sweeter than the rest of the pack I found. The APX1000 sounded acceptable unplugged...but the APX1200 sounded quite sweet. Still you can't get away from the limitations of a small acoustic body size at least for unplugged nekkid sounds. Plugged in tho they're fine at least to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I've always wondered about the Godin Multiacs (I think they're called)...the ones like a thin acoustic without a sound hole that need to be plugged in. What are they for?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited July 2014
    jellyroll said:
    I've always wondered about the Godin Multiacs (I think they're called)...the ones like a thin acoustic without a sound hole that need to be plugged in. What are they for?
    Making an awful pseudo-acoustic sound. Or playing power ballads in MTV rock bands. Which may be the same thing.

They made two basic models as far as I know, the Acousticaster (Tele shaped) and the A6 (ugly shaped). The Acousticaster was supposedly the better one and was built more like an acoustic guitar, with a sort of resonance unit inside the body, and the A6 was more of a conventional chambered solidbody I think. They had wide, thin necks - my least favourite.

The Ovation for the grunge generation really.

Although one of my musical heroes (Heather Nova) used an A6 briefly, so they can't be *all* bad…

The Multiac is the one shaped like an ugly thing that's been hit by a big stick and is covered in pickups, slider controls, switches, guitar synth gubbins and can sound boring in more ways than you can possibly imagine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    ICBM;288374" said:
    The Multiac is the one shaped like an ugly thing that's been hit by a big stick and is covered in pickups, slider controls, switches, guitar synth gubbins and can sound boring in more ways than you can possibly imagine.
    I take the endorsement deal didn't go ahead then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I take the endorsement deal didn't go ahead then?
    lol

Actually having checked, there are different versions of the Multiac and not all of them have been hit by the stick as well :). I thought it had a magnetic pickup too, but it appears not (and they did a nylon-string version anyway).

I've never played a Godin I've liked though, with the possible exception of the Radiator, and even that was less interesting than it looked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    What about the Ibanez Talman - Ibanez describe it as the 'acoustic guitar for electric guitarists.'

Never played one myself but someone I used to be in a band with bought one and says it's great.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Had a Godin Acousitcaster for a few years. Even amplified in a band situation, did not sound really sound convincing and sound lacked any depth or character. Wasnt sorry to see it go in the end
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717

I have a Fender Telecoustic, got it second hand cheap as chips, it sounds alright plugged in but very quiet when not as it's so small. It's basically a Tele shaped acoustic, though definitely at the cheaper end of things. It does play like a Tele style guitar to me, though not necessarily an "excellent" Tele! It's small, great for picking up and strumming or finger picking (I use the Martin folk strings which are nice and soft), no rib cramps as it's small.

I understand some people have trouble when playing it standing up, that it rocks forward if not being held as the neck is heavy compared to the dubious material the body is made of!

They do a Stratacoustic as well I think

All in all, like some others mentioned above, whilst it does play like an electric, and looks like an electric, you sacrifice some tone. It's not going to sound like a higher end one, it does sound nicer plugged in with onboard electrics or with a Woody pup.You won't be heard f you play alongside anybody else unplugged either, unless they are playing a ukelele...

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited July 2014
    at the risk of repeating others @travisthedog - the answer is to go to a good dealer and start trying acoustics until you find one that works - and then pay a new price for it

there are acoustics well set up, with the right string gauge that will feel fantastic - don't worry about price initially just play lots of them until you reach for your wallet.  I did and it was a budget instrument at £250.  A little bright sounding perhaps but you can shred and fret tap on it and it is great for fingerstyle!

IMHO buying second hand if just a route to buying another guitar that doesn't feel right - at least initially until you can be sure of what you want

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Is the plan to play plugged in every time? Because if not, another option could be a Crafter SA, basically Crafter's take on the Taylor T5 (I actually prefer the look of the Crafter personally). LR baggs piezo and a lipstick pickup by the neck and you can blend the two. Tis very quiet when not plugged in but I quite like the plugged in sound.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Just to conclude this thread - Well I found what I wanted.

Early 1970's Epiphone "Texan" beautiful neck and fretboard radius, wide at the nut, loud, a beautiful tone unplugged and loads of character

Yes it needs a pick up of some sort but that's ok beacause it cost me the princely sum of £75!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just to conclude this thread - Well I found what I wanted.

Early 1970's Epiphone "Texan" beautiful neck and fretboard radius, wide at the nut, loud, a beautiful tone unplugged and loads of character

Yes it needs a pick up of some sort but that's ok beacause it cost me the princely sum of £75!!!!
    Fantastic!

You definitely want some sort of soundhole pickup for that - it will be more in keeping with the age and character of the guitar, as well as sounding better than a piezo.

I was thinking a rare earth ??
    I was thinking a rare earth ??
    Or LR Baggs M1A.

Oooo i forgot about those
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    I just sold an APX1000 on here...they're really nice and the SRT system is great.

However, Taylor rule in this space IMO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.