Nitro-safe multi-guitar rack/stand

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Loobs said:
    On Thomann it definitely says "not nitro safe", the same for Hercules. 
    Whereas Hercules themselves say they're safe, so my guess is that it's just Thomann covering themselves. That's annoying, since now you can't tell for sure either way...

Although Hercules do also hedge it slightly - 

"HERCULES had conducted numerous trials on our SFF foam and is pleased to conclude that the foam does NOT react with the large majority of popular instrument finishes on the market, including Nitrocellulose. These trials included subjecting an assortment of high end and budget friendly instruments on our variety of stands to punishing heat, bitter cold and common room temperatures for periods of up to six months without disruption.

However, each instrument manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with varying proportions of the chemical agents involved. There are thousands of variations of lacquer in use in today’s instrument manufacturing processes, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to maintain the level of respect and support your valuable instrument deserves, we recommend you refer to your instrument's owner’s manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument."

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3834
    So you think it'll be ok for garden variety Fender 'thin skin' nitro?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I've been putting my Gibson lpj on a hercules 3 guitar rack. No issues yet. 

Only been on there a few nights. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Loobs said:
    Probably :).

(I would say yes, but this is not legal advice and you can't sue me ;).)

Personally I just wish companies and guitar players would just stop fetishising nitrocellulose and then we wouldn't need to have this sort of paranoia about stands, straps, cases, clothing and any other things that this ridiculously unprotective finish normally comes into contact with. But that's another argument...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    Loobs said:
    Probably .

(I would say yes, but this is not legal advice and you can't sue me .)

Personally I just wish companies and guitar players would just stop fetishising nitrocellulose and then we wouldn't need to have this sort of paranoia about stands, straps, cases, clothing and any other things that this ridiculously unprotective finish normally comes into contact with. But that's another argument...
    But then how will the wood breathe? ;-) 

Last thing we want is to suffocate all that tone. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    skunkwerx said:

Tell us if it's still ok on Monday, yeah?
    Loobs said:

lol

If you're not joking... I assume you know that polyurethane is also moisture-permeable ;). The 'nitro allowing the wood to breathe' thing is a complete myth.

Especially as 60s Fenders and most of the current CS ones are done with nitro over a polyester sealer coat :). (Although the 'Thin Skin' isn't, as far as I can tell.)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I would advise caution whichever one you end up buying. Although something like Hercules or K&M are the safest bet, it’s probably a good idea to check any nitro-finished guitars every couple of weeks. I thought my Hercules was totally safe, but I vaguely remember a minor incident - something like feeling like that the guitar had stuck to the foam very slightly. No marking or anything though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    Loobs said:
    I've got Gibson, Fender, Forshage and other nitro finished guitars on both and I have never had any problems.
    My first Forshage Orion did react with another stand that got binned.
    I think you will be fine.
    ICBM said:
    Loobs said:

lol

If you're not joking... I assume you know that polyurethane is also moisture-permeable ;). The 'nitro allowing the wood to breathe' thing is a complete myth.

Especially as 60s Fenders and most of the current CS ones are done with nitro over a polyester sealer coat :). (Although the 'Thin Skin' isn't, as far as I can tell.)
    I was joking. I'm not finish purist, at least not in terms of how it might affect the guitar's tone. Looks and aging are a different thing, though. 
    Loobs said:

I was joking. I'm not finish purist, at least not in terms of how it might affect the guitar's tone. Looks and aging are a different thing, though. 
    Indeed - and polyurethane *done properly* looks and ages very much like nitro, except that it's tougher so it wears more slowly, and less prone (though not immune) to contact damage.

I really wish more guitar players understood this and that more manufacturers used it that way. Not all "poly" - a word I never use normally - has to be the typical far-east glassy polyester...

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Loobs said:
    skunkwerx said:

Tell us if it's still ok on Monday, yeah?
    Should be! 

It was hung by the neck on a hercules hanger in pmt since January.

Not a mark agnesi on it. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...