Cardinal sin? I added a humbucker to my strat

What's Hot
So after faffing around with various SCs and not finding what I wanted, I decided to stick a humbucker in my strat. I had a Bare Knuckle crawler in my spares box, but it was uncovered and I knew I wanted a cover. I picked up a cheap cover on eBay, but the holes were fractionally off. A careful bit of drilling and it went on fine. As the rest of the guitar is aged I attacked the chrome with acid, and in the morning it was much more to my liking. I realise that it won't be to everyones taste but that's fine, we can all like different things. I thought that I would have trouble soldering the cover on, but I bought a really good soldering iron last year with variable heat, and it was no problem at all. I thought that I might as well go the whole hog so I attempted wax potting for the first time. I found a run through on YouTube and it was pretty easy. 

When I made this body I used a template for SSS, so I had to pull the whole guitar apart for some routing. The upshot of this is that, although it has been my no 1 guitar since I built it (last summer?) the setup was never ideal. When I reassembled I took the time to do some better tweaking. It is better for sure, but I may have slightly overdone the low E nut slot. Not 100% sure but the guitar definitely plays better than it did so happy for now.

I like the trad look of SSS but I also like HSS on a strat. I'm definitely happier with the sound right now, but I kept my old scratchplate so I can return to the old look at a later date should I wish to. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3660
    One more of us, one less of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Not wrong in my opinion. One of the best live guitar sounds I've ever heard was on Belinda Carlisle's Heaven On Earth tour, with (I think) Rick Boston on guitar - he had what must at the time probably have been an original 2-tone burst Strat with an old-looking black humbucker slightly crudely chiselled into the bridge position, through a Chandler Tube Driver and a 100W Marshall. I was right up at the front against the stage, close enough to not only see it all in detail but hear the sound of the amp directly rather than just through the PA. Amazing tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    edited April 2020
    I'm a big fan of it, I have a few, here's a couple:

here's the red one again:

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Nice aged pickguard. Did you do that yourself?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Zoolooter said:
    Nice aged pickguard. Did you do that yourself?
    Yeah, all attempted ageing is done by me
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Always thought Wayne Kramers Srat looked cool, his has the humbucker in the middle.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I love a bridge humbucker in a Strat. In fact I'm really having to fight myself to not put one in my fave SSS
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Always like the look of Kramer's Strat.

Never really liked a Strat in SSS. Haven't tried one with a humbucker though. Those Epiphone Coronets and the like (Wiltshire? Can't remember other names) are what I always thought a Strat should be like. Maybe I've seen too much Radio Birdman.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2020
    I'm a fan of HSS strats, opens them up to way more stuff I think. Mine is currently just H with 1vol and I love that. When we end up getting out of lockdown I'm gonna get mine back off my mate I've lent it to - quite fancy doing it H-S. Want them neck single tones again but not into middle pickups or the plinky out of phase crap. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    It's not a problem - even Fender do them (and with a Floyd!).

I've got a couple of partscasters:

Both have SD JB humbuckers; the 2nd one is still in progress.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    axisus said:
    So after faffing around with various SCs and not finding what I wanted, I decided to stick a humbucker in my strat. I had a Bare Knuckle crawler in my spares box, but it was uncovered and I knew I wanted a cover. I picked up a cheap cover on eBay, but the holes were fractionally off. A careful bit of drilling and it went on fine. As the rest of the guitar is aged I attacked the chrome with acid, and in the morning it was much more to my liking. I realise that it won't be to everyones taste but that's fine, we can all like different things. I thought that I would have trouble soldering the cover on, but I bought a really good soldering iron last year with variable heat, and it was no problem at all. I thought that I might as well go the whole hog so I attempted wax potting for the first time. I found a run through on YouTube and it was pretty easy. 

When I made this body I used a template for SSS, so I had to pull the whole guitar apart for some routing. The upshot of this is that, although it has been my no 1 guitar since I built it (last summer?) the setup was never ideal. When I reassembled I took the time to do some better tweaking. It is better for sure, but I may have slightly overdone the low E nut slot. Not 100% sure but the guitar definitely plays better than it did so happy for now.

I like the trad look of SSS but I also like HSS on a strat. I'm definitely happier with the sound right now, but I kept my old scratchplate so I can return to the old look at a later date should I wish to. 

I like the look of that, particularly with the HB being covered. If I was Strat shopping I would definitely take that down off the wall to try. It puts me in mind of one of those ESP George Lynch models, albeit with a nicer finish!

Have you got any coil splitting going on eg when bridge selected along with the middle pickup?
    edited April 2020
    Keefy said:

Have you got any coil splitting going on eg when bridge selected along with the middle pickup?
    Yeah, the middle tone has a push-pull that splits the HB, and the end knob is a blend pot to bring the bridge pickup in with the neck.

I much prefer push-push but I don't have one right now.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    @axisus ; that looks amazing! Have you got a full guitar photo?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    axisus said:
    Keefy said:

Yeah, the middle tone has a push-pull that splits the HB, and the end knob is a blend pot to bring the bridge pickup in with the neck.

I much prefer push-push but I don't have one right now.
    Cool!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Awesome. 
    How do you find the output levels between single coils and the crawler ? 
    sgosden said:
    Awesome. 
    How do you find the output levels between single coils and the crawler ? 
    Well, I'm just playing at home low level sound, but seems fine to me. The SCs are Suhr V70s.
    BigMonka said:
    @axisus ; that looks amazing! Have you got a full guitar photo?
    I do now. Just snapped.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I also have had a Crawler in a HSS guitar and IIRC it's not a massive output but is quite dark vs the single coils so gives a good contrast, and it splits well.
    Nice full pic, I like the dirty used look rather than the typical  abused look
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819
    Do the single coil sized humbuckers (DiMarzio / Duncan Cruiser, Rails, Lil '59) do just as good a job tonally?

Jay