NGD Smitty 60’s Classic S

kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Due to a recent promotion at work I decided to treat myself to something special guitar wise. 

I’m slowly recovering from a recent scalding injury to my hand and only just started playing again. So I wanted something familiar to me neck shape wise so that it would be more comfortable to play.

Ive always felt most comfortable playing strats and tend to gravitate towards HSS for the versatility. I play in a covers band playing a wide range of stuff so the guitar has to cover a lot of ground.

So I was looking for something high end in that style.

I ended up going for a Smitty. I’d heard great things about them and loved the look of them. 

This one was pre-owned from World guitars so it was a great price.

Im absolutely blown away by it. The build quality and playability is top notch. The neck is a thing of beauty. The pickups are really well balanced across all selections and the thing has tons of sustain. It’s as good as anything I’ve had pass through my hands, the closest probably being a Tyler Strat.

Its just a lovely lovely thing and I’m so happy with it.

Anyway here are the pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3sztwBX

In the flesh the colour of red is slightly more pink in shade which personally I love. 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice relicing on that one, some of the fender relics are now too over the top for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I’d actually eyed that one up on their site as thought it looked stunning. Enjoy!
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    That neck though  :o
  • Nice relicing on that one, some of the fender relics are now too over the top for me
    Yes it’s tastefully done
  • I own this Smitty now, bought from Sound Affects in Ormskirk. It is a truly amazing guitar and I chose it over Fender Custom Shop guitars and I don't even really like Red guitars tbh so that may tell you just how good it is. However it seems to have had some work done at some stage. A shim of considerable thickness added to the neck socket and visible from the exterior. It can't possibly have been like that from the factory of a well respected Custom Boutique builder like Smitty. Could you possible shed any light on this at all please? Im currently having it looked at to try and get it back to how it should be. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited March 2023
    Hi, I also owned this guitar and part exchanged it at Sound Affects in Dec 20. If I remember correctly I had the neck off at some point but don't recall seeing any unusually large shims in the neck pocket.

I brought it from another forum member via Facebook. Not the original poster on this thread 
  • This must have been a mod done after I owned it. I traded it on here for a Music Man Luke II. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Happy NGD. I've heard only good things about Smittys. I'm also happy to hear World Guitars are doing ok, I remember a kerfuffle a while back.
  • BigAl100BigAl100 Frets: 100
    What an awesome looker! Love the relic-ing, it's very tastefully done.