Solos that don't fade out but you wished they did!!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Any of Neil Young's. You wonder why they started ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    Any of Neil Young's. You wonder why they started ...
    I love the sound of them..and there ARE some great moments in there somewhere..but an awful lot of playing just to get at the few gems that are hidden in there.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    I can't make it to the the end of layla without turning it off, it's amazing to me that it got "approved" in the studio it's that bad, Clapton must have done an extra shitload of heroin that day.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Most guns and roses solos, slash just doesnt do it for me! soz! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Most things ever recorded by Gilmour.

Anything live by Hendrix.

Anything by Slash post Appetite.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited June 2014
    boogieman said:

You really should listen to some Sonny Landreth though.
    Just did. Don't like him. There's a Youtube video that goes on for about seven minutes that pretty much illustrates everything I dislike about slide guitar. Just endless repetition of the same stuff with no trace of a song.

I did find another one with Colin Linden on a goldtop Les Paul though, who is much better.

I'd still take the Layla outro any day. I genuinely did not realise the amount of hate there is for it, and I'm struggling to understand why… to me it's a perfect example of playing for the song, and if it's not technically perfect that's just appropriate and gives it far more emotional power. It doesn't sound "out of tune" to me, any more than a bent note does.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited June 2014
    Samba Pa Ti. Okay not a solo per se, but dear God, I swear for the last 2 mins of that track Carlos is struggling to remember the Coda and it's only the sound engineer that takes pity on him and us. He pulls the slider, saving the music loving public from a Guinness Book of records entry for the worlds longest improv.

Still too late, mate.............. Still too late. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    ICBM;266762" said:
    boogieman said:

You really should listen to some Sonny Landreth though.
    Just did. Don't like him. There's a Youtube video that goes on for about seven minutes that pretty much illustrates everything I dislike about slide guitar. Just endless repetition of the same stuff with no trace of a song.

I did find another one with Colin Linden on a goldtop Les Paul though, who is much better.

I'd still take the Layla outro any day. I genuinely did not realise the amount of hate there is for it, and I'm struggling to understand why… to me it's a perfect example of playing for the song, and if it's not technically perfect that's just appropriate and gives it far more emotional power. It doesn't sound "out of tune" to me, any more than a bent note does.
    I don't know Colin Linden, I'll check him out.
    Each to their own with musical tastes I guess. *shrug* Be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The outro to layla is the best part of the song, I really love it, even more so after seeing Goodfellas.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Hotel California should fade after the intro, IMHO. Dreary, self absorbed nonsense IMHO

But then again I detest The Eagles - a band so middle of the road, they need Cats Eyes installing. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    impmann said:
    Hotel California should fade after the intro, IMHO. Dreary, self absorbed nonsense IMHO

But then again I detest The Eagles - a band so middle of the road, they need Cats Eyes installing. :-)
    Interesting. I can't stand the Eagles, except that I absolutely love Hotel California, including the solo(s). 

Oh, and Journey of the Sorcerer, but that's probably because of the hitchhiker association. :)
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Say what you want about the outro of Layla,  since reading this discussion earlier it's been stuck in my head which makes it a classic peice for me.  I'm torn - I really like it but it works better as a cinematic piece for me.

All the Dire straits tunes mentioined are perfect for me and an exercise in making an extended solo interesting and melodic to the end a lot more than something like freebird which is probably amazing live but does have a hint of "endless random noodling"

Hotel California feels a bit long this week but only because I'm trying to memorise at the moment - once it's nailed I'll go back to enjoying it ;-)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    Bird of Paradise- Snowy.

it could go on for ever for me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom